Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 27, 2007, 11:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default ASUS P5N-E SLI Problems

Well I've come across some annoying issues now with the P5N-E SLI. It has always been quirky since day one but now its gone a bit too far.

So yesterday I got a 500GB hard drive, hooked it up, all was fine. Transfered all my data onto it from my two 250GB hard drives, and decided to put my 250s into RAID0. No problem I thought, however I was wrong.

After setting up RAID and trying to install Vista x64, I was hit by BSODs before the install even started. It did install at one point, but after Windows Update installed a bunch of stuff, I could no longer do anything once it go to the desktop. It was frozen yet I could move my mouse.

So I decided to run it all stock, take out 2GB of RAM, and try again. This time it installed fine without a hitch, disabled Windows Update so it wouldn't mess anything up. So I put back my 2GB and all seemed fine.

Now the issue is, I can no longer OC stably to where I was at before. I used to run 1520FSB and 820MHz on the RAM @ 4-3-3-9-2T. Running that, POST will fail at times, hangs when shutting down at times, and froze up trying to run a boot scan disk. So now I'm at 1500FSB and 800MHz RAM @ 4-4-4-12-2T.

So the question is, am I doing something wrong here or is it just that my motherboard can't handle 4x1GB sticks of RAM, RAID0, 500GB SATA2 hard drive and a SATA DVD-RW? Remember, it worked fine before RAID0, when all the hard drives were singles.
Old December 27, 2007, 12:12 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

There is a patch available from Microsoft which addresses the problem you are having with your RAM, I had a similar problem with my P5N32-E SLI.

Did you update the BIOS recently? I know with the P5N32E-SLI that the latest bios releases have crippled overclocking somewhat, so I went back a couple versions to get my oc'ing back.
Antec P180
BFG GTX 260 Core 216
Corsair HX-620
Thermaltake Power Express 250W
Raptor150, WD 500gb. WD 300GB
X-Fi Extreme Music
Old December 27, 2007, 07:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post
There is a patch available from Microsoft which addresses the problem you are having with your RAM, I had a similar problem with my P5N32-E SLI.

Did you update the BIOS recently? I know with the P5N32E-SLI that the latest bios releases have crippled overclocking somewhat, so I went back a couple versions to get my oc'ing back.
I have all the Vista updates, so that's not the issue. I'm using the trusty 0608 BIOS, never had any issues with OCing before. The newer ones I hear cripple OCing as well.