Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11, 2010, 10:17 PM
Top Prospect

OKay well when the cpu comes back il check the hdd again and possibly the power supply if I can find one to use.

Martin- Do you remember how long it takes Gigabyte to turnaround? I ask becuase lets just say my psu and hdd are fine, Im wondering if it would be better to send in the rma and wait weeks or just get another one atm. My friend might buy the one I get back from giga.

Used to get this message after constant restart but not anymore. I am not running at 1600mhz anymore but 1333.
YouTube - Random restart As you can tell at the beginning of the video I have a windows did not shutdown properly sign bsod lol.

Last edited by biggyk; November 11, 2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old November 12, 2010, 08:52 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Last time i sent a gigabyte board back for RMA it was a complete fiasco. It cost me about 18 dollars to ship it, and i just used the box that came with my board minus the outside sleeve for packaging.

Here is the fun part , I had sent my board out and that went fine. It made it to the US , and for some odd reason ended up in la puenta mexico - about 4 hours south of the mexican border. It then made it back to the RMA facility and was sent back. Some odd reason gigabyte sent back my replacement in the exact same box i had sent it in and when it hit canada customs it was held for 6 weeks due to a suspicious flag. Guess a package going from canada to usa to mexcio, back to the us and then canada is suspicious. After all that I had to pay 60 dollars in duty and had wait an additional 6 weeks to get my money back after they finally got it through thier heads that I had purchased my board in canada and i had gotten a replacement.
Old November 12, 2010, 08:59 AM
Top Prospect

Man that sucks. Gigabyte will send it back by ground for free which im not really liking the whole ground thing but I read on there website its an average turnarond of 2-3 WEEKS. Like wow, Im wondering if I should just go get the same motherboard since its about $100
Old November 12, 2010, 09:33 AM
Top Prospect

I forgot that I had a 400w psu from my old Pentium 4 system, do you think this would handle what I have for now to do some testing? Says peak 500w. I have two molex to pce-E connecters

Old November 12, 2010, 10:28 AM
Banned
F@H

if you dont gpu load it should be fine. note that the 12v will be weak vs 5v, if indeed is an oldie.

just in case, whats the part number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
Last time i sent a gigabyte board back for RMA it was a complete fiasco. It cost me about 18 dollars to ship it, and i just used the box that came with my board minus the outside sleeve for packaging.

Here is the fun part , I had sent my board out and that went fine. It made it to the US , and for some odd reason ended up in la puenta mexico - about 4 hours south of the mexican border. It then made it back to the RMA facility and was sent back. Some odd reason gigabyte sent back my replacement in the exact same box i had sent it in and when it hit canada customs it was held for 6 weeks due to a suspicious flag. Guess a package going from canada to usa to mexcio, back to the us and then canada is suspicious. After all that I had to pay 60 dollars in duty and had wait an additional 6 weeks to get my money back after they finally got it through thier heads that I had purchased my board in canada and i had gotten a replacement.

look on the bright side. you helped out the cartels move some :D
Old November 12, 2010, 10:30 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
if you dont gpu load it should be fine. note that the 12v will be weak vs 5v, if indeed is an oldie.

just in case, whats the part number?
Thermaltake XP480 400W
Old November 12, 2010, 11:25 AM
Banned
F@H

Thermaltake XP480 PSU

like i thought, pretty weak 12v rail. dont gpu load it.
Old November 12, 2010, 11:27 AM
Top Prospect

okay so maybe il just do some cpu stress testing since it restarted after that and see how that goes. Il try to post some screenshots while im at it.

btw whats the best way to find out how much power my computer is using at a given time.
Old November 12, 2010, 11:37 AM
Banned
F@H

well, cpu and motherboard, lets say a good 150 watts tops. gpu roughly 120 watts under normal gaming modes. no overclocking. add a bit more for other stuff like hdds etc

thats right up there with the above review's limits where the psu starts crapping out. if your computer was going out before and doesnt anymore,again dont use the gpu but for desktop and email, then it was the psu

edit its well worth it to get something like a kill a watt, best 20 bucks youll ever spend. not only it tells you how much juice is being pulled from the wall, but you can also troubleshoot.

for exemple, lets say your computer pulls 300 watts at the wall, nothing changes and one day it pulls 350? somethings up. i do check on my puters, and its really easy. there are also power bars with this function, a bit expensive though.
Old November 12, 2010, 11:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Gigabyte's is usually 2 1/2 to 3 week. I would concider buying a new board and selling this one once it's back. Give yourself a gift and get a 870/890 chipset board. Be sure to look at the CPU support. Waiting for some news from your testing ;)

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||