Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 24, 2007, 07:32 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Milt, the Q6600 "runs" at 266mhz quad pumped (4 x 266 = 1066'ish). BUT it should easily OC to 333 mhz(333x4=1333'ish) and some can go as high as 400mhz...or "1600" fsb..or better but no guarantees. The Asus Maxi motherboard is supposed to be able to take the newer 1666fsb cpus coming out late Q1 so it won't be a limiting factor. Personally I would OC the snot out of it until the max temps get too hot for your comfort level (or the core voltage needs to be turned up to "deep fryer" levels).

Merry Xmas!
That would be 1600fsb.

Since Intel now goes in increments of 333, then the current 1333fsb will be given an extra 333fsb to result in a total of 1600fsb.
Old December 24, 2007, 07:49 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavat23 View Post
That would be 1600fsb.

Since Intel now goes in increments of 333, then the current 1333fsb will be given an extra 333fsb to result in a total of 1600fsb.
Sorry Salavat23 BUT the Quad 6600 is a 266 x 4 not a 333 x 3.2 (thus its 9 locked multiplier X 266 = 2.4ghz, 9multi x 333 = 3 ghz, 9multi x 400 = 3.6ghz).

Yes the newer 1333fsb chips ARE 333 quad pumped BUT not the Q6600/6700. This 9x multiplier is what makes the q6600 such an easy overclocker as just about any cheap board will do 333fsb. The new refresh coming in late Q1 (if you exclude the 1k "extreme" edition out now) are 333 and then the later next year the new 400fsb quad pumped "1600mhz" cpus will be out. BUT they will have lower locked multipliers than the q6600 as they will most likely be in the high 2 to low 3 ghz range.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; December 24, 2007 at 07:54 AM.
Old December 24, 2007, 08:25 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Sorry Salavat23 BUT the Quad 6600 is a 266 x 4 not a 333 x 3.2 (thus its 9 locked multiplier X 266 = 2.4ghz, 9multi x 333 = 3 ghz, 9multi x 400 = 3.6ghz).

Yes the newer 1333fsb chips ARE 333 quad pumped BUT not the Q6600/6700. This 9x multiplier is what makes the q6600 such an easy overclocker as just about any cheap board will do 333fsb. The new refresh coming in late Q1 (if you exclude the 1k "extreme" edition out now) are 333 and then the later next year the new 400fsb quad pumped "1600mhz" cpus will be out. BUT they will have lower locked multipliers than the q6600 as they will most likely be in the high 2 to low 3 ghz range.
You mentioned that the new, upcoming processors will be 1666fsb. That is false. But you corrected that.

Intel CPUs grow in increments of 266mhz, and 333mhz.

Therefore, 1066+266+266=1600.

1066+266=1333.

Front side bus values increase by increments of 266mhz. While the newer CPUs with 1333fsb increase by increments of 333mhz.
Old December 24, 2007, 09:04 AM

OK this is getting off topic but...

Salavat23 You are correct, the very first "new" chips will be 1333 (333 x 4) but I was talking more about the NEW 45nm CPUs and not the refreshes coming out. You are also correct in stating it probably won't be Q1 (what can I say "typo"!). However I was generalizing for the sake of Milt who is not been in the loop.

However, Intel rates their FSB based off the chip being USED. Intel doesn't increase by a locked XXX mhz number, rather they use (for the next while) a 4x multiplier...just like DDR2 is a "double pump" or 2x multiplier. The 1333 will not / are not PENTA pumped they will still be QUAD pumped, and the 1600 will not be HEXA pumped it too will be a QUAD pumped.

This way people who say buy the Asus Maximus board (like we were talking about) + a 1066fsb CPU...say the Q6600, can do a BIOS update and drop in a 1333fsb CPU like the refreshes coming soon AND (in theory) with another BIOS update use the 1600s coming out later.

IF they were to just add on another XXXmhz to the chip it would be a bit of a PITA for upgraders and motherboard makers trying to support older boards.

Honestly this is probably going to muddy the issues on recommendations to MILT, and for that Milt I am sorry but its better to get all the right data than wrong data.

In a nutshell Milt my recommendations stand. I wouldn't worry about FSB and multipliers. Just that the Q6600 is a great overclocker and the Asus Maxi is a great board that will allow you to have a fairly future proof upgrade path...while allowing you to OC the snot out of the CPU you "have" now.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 24, 2007, 09:22 AM
Rookie

Thanks for heads up AkG. Didnt even think about OC'ing it lol. im just scatterbrained atm, very busy time for me.

I went looking for some info on OCing the q6600 and found this nice thread. Ill definitely OC the system. Mind you Im not looking to push it too much but getting the system to 3gig and over a 1333 bus speed would be enough for me.

That being said (and with more of a focus) what board/ram combo would work best? I'll more than likely go with the p35 chipset for the mobo. With the ram im unsure... should I buy ram thats already 1333 or should I buy ones with a lower bus speed and OC them?
Old December 24, 2007, 10:47 AM

Personally, IF you are looking at p35s (which BTW are VERY nice) I would look at the Gigabytes and not ASUS. The DQ3/4 or the UBER nice DQ6 are very nice boards. Just check out the sigs of some of the other board members to get a feel for how many people her like the Gigabyte p35 + Q6600 combo for OC'ing.

As for RAM...I'm biased. I like Mushkin and Crucial. My systems right now run Corsair...but that is because I got the memory for near FREE. So either the HP or XP line from Mushkin, or the Ballastix from Curcial are great choices. In my opinion pc6400 is cheap enough (why save few bucks and go less) and should be more than enough for the Q6600. $200 for 4 gigs of 4-4-4-12 is win-win. Of course you just missed a great deal on G-skill 4 gigs pc-8000 for $120

Old December 24, 2007, 11:20 AM
MVP
F@H

plextor 810sa, I have one and find it to very good and it is sata, the read write times are great and has a fairly decent bundle

<clickme

Old December 24, 2007, 01:42 PM

Unfortunately, Plextor stopped making their own DVD writers after the 760. The 810 is a rebadged Pioneer 212. Still a VERY good burner.

Last edited by AkG; December 24, 2007 at 02:58 PM.
Old December 24, 2007, 04:35 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Unfortunately, Plextor stopped making their own DVD writers after the 760. The 810 is a rebadged Pioneer 212. Still a VERY good burner.
I know to be honest with all of them are almost rebadges, lite on to be exact..

Quote:
After more than six months spent consolidating its business, Lite-On IT is confident about the business outlook of Philips Lite-On Digital Solutions (PLDS), the joint venture with Royal Philips Electronics that it purchased BenQ's stake from, saying that sales of optical disk drives (ODD) should improve starting from the first quarter of 2007, said Lite-On IT company president Danny Liao.
PLDS was renamed after Lite-On IT purchased a 49% share of BenQ has in Philips BenQ Digital Storage (PBDS), the joint venture between these two companies.
Since associated inventory write-offs were recognized in 2006, Liao said the financial structure of PLDS should be healthier than last year. Lite-On IT recognized a total loss of NT$300-350 million in the third quarter of 2006 since its DVD recorder return rate at Wal-Mart was relatively high, industry players commented.
In related news, regarding speculation that Sony shifted its slim DVD burner orders to Quanta Storage, Liao said Sony is not shifting all of its orders to Quanta Storage and Lite-On IT will still compete for orders from Sony NEC Optiarc, a joint venture between Sony (55% stake) and NEC (45% stake).
Lite-On IT has also landed PC-use DVD burner orders from Japan-based Plextor, following Plextor's plan to suspend its own PC-use DVD drive business, according to industry sources. The speculation about Lite-On IT spurred the company's share price to reach NT$29.45 on January 24, up NT$1.9 from the January 23 closing price. Some industry watchers, however, said the landed ordered amounts should be limited.

Old December 24, 2007, 05:10 PM

Are you sure its a Lieton? Over at CDfreaks plextor forum they were all sure it was a Pioneer rebadge when they came out. Supposed to be same size as the pioneer and everything. Would love to know they were "incorrect".

heres a couple of the links:
Is Plextor in decline? - Club CD Freaks - Knowledge is Power
urgent need to decide on an external Plextor - Club CD Freaks - Knowledge is Power