Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

View Poll Results: Go with LGA1366 in the next month or two, or wait?
Wait 21 52.50%
Go for 1366 19 47.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 4, 2010, 10:19 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Question Will it be worth the wait?

I was going to build a new gaming rig in the next 2 months or so, but I heard that Intel's Sandy Bridge chips are scheduled for release soon, and they will (surprise surprise) use a different socket than LGA1366. It will be Socket R. I've heard mixed reviews on the new chips. In your opinions, is it worth waiting for these new chips and motherboards that support them, or just go with the LGA1366 and limit my CPU upgrades? (I intend on keeping the major components [PSU, mobo, probably RAM] in this build for the next 3 or 4 years probably).

EDIT: To clarify - it will be a completely new build. I'm looking at buying a RAMPAGE III Formula and a Corsair 1000W PSU and Crucial Ballistix Tracer RAM. And of course an Intel Core-i7 950. Only the hard drives and DVD burner are moving to the new rig (and maybe some fans).

Last edited by browner87; November 5, 2010 at 05:59 AM.
Old November 4, 2010, 10:32 AM
Rookie

I would wait, I hear that the new stuff is gonna be insane, sorry nothing to back it up, heard this from a friend
Old November 4, 2010, 10:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

well considering you can't use the motherboard and ram in a new build anyways, and the PSU is worthy of a garbage can, you won't be needing or transferring any of your current components anyhow. I'd wait, the q6600 can hold you off for a few months. (intel only releases "extreme" and high end components first usually...) Sandy Bridge is not going to be any worse then current chips. It just doesn't make sense to me to buy a dying socket. however you can in the meantime, upgrade your video card, which you can easily transfer to your new build when you do complete it. I don't know what game's you'll be playing, but upgrading the video card will have the greatest effect on reducing the bottleneck(s) of your games.
Old November 4, 2010, 10:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It depends on what you will be doing. If it's multi-GPU, go with an LGA1366 board or wait for the new LGA2011 X68 series, as I think that the P67's will only be capable of 2 x8 PCI-E connections. If you love to overclock, be forewarned that you won't be able to with Sandy Bridge unless you buy an unlocked CPU (K series).

Basically, Sandy Bridge will be the mainstream boards, while the new X68 LGA2011 boards will be for the enthusiast. Intel screwed up and made their P55's too close in performance to the X58. I don't think that will be the case next generation. To be honest, I'd be really tempted to get a $200 X58 board and a i7 950.
Old November 4, 2010, 10:48 AM
Banned
F@H

you,sir, will be waiting quite a bit. why? well, from release till the products mature, till you know which mobo can go around the oc bug,etc,etc, it will be a while.

1156 now. just go for it
Old November 4, 2010, 11:30 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

It's good to hear input all around. _dangtx_ mentioned one of my concerns - it's usually a while after a product is even released that it's ripe for buying. And for those trashing my present system, the specs listed are old. I've upgraded a lot of it and the rest is becoming a little web/file server when I get this new computer. The only things moving from the old to the new are the 4.5TB of hard drive space, the DVD drive, and the heatsink for my CPU. And the case :). I am building this to copletely replace my old computer.

What I'm thinking right now is that I wasn't intending to build this until just after Christmas anyways, so if I've heard some very promising things before then, I might hold of a few more months. If nothing particularly jaw dropping about these new CPUs turns up, I might just continue with the 1366 build. I'm still interested in anyone else's thoughts.

Old November 4, 2010, 12:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by browner87 View Post
It's good to hear input all around. _dangtx_ mentioned one of my concerns - it's usually a while after a product is even released that it's ripe for buying. And for those trashing my present system, the specs listed are old. I've upgraded a lot of it and the rest is becoming a little web/file server when I get this new computer. The only things moving from the old to the new are the 4.5TB of hard drive space, the DVD drive, and the heatsink for my CPU. And the case :). I am building this to copletely replace my old computer.

What I'm thinking right now is that I wasn't intending to build this until just after Christmas anyways, so if I've heard some very promising things before then, I might hold of a few more months. If nothing particularly jaw dropping about these new CPUs turns up, I might just continue with the 1366 build. I'm still interested in anyone else's thoughts.

First I would like to appoligize for the rude way in which Larkstar defined some of your components. That is not Typical of HWC. In a roundabout way he was saying that Apevia Power supplies are not well suited to modern computer systems, and lucky for you you haven't lost your rig yet because of it.

In all honesty I would take the plunge and go i7. At the end of the day when new Tech is released pricing is always an issue, as is availability. I cannot forsee you bottlenecking a system with a good i7 build. It should give you at least 2 years of enjoyability. mind you looking at your equipment it would be best if doing a system to do everything at once, new PSU, GPU etc etc and give yourself a solid platform.

My thoughts,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 4, 2010, 12:53 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
It depends on what you will be doing. If it's multi-GPU, go with an LGA1366 board or wait for the new LGA2011 X68 series, as I think that the P67's will only be capable of 2 x8 PCI-E connections. If you love to overclock, be forewarned that you won't be able to with Sandy Bridge unless you buy an unlocked CPU (K series).

Basically, Sandy Bridge will be the mainstream boards, while the new X68 LGA2011 boards will be for the enthusiast. Intel screwed up and made their P55's too close in performance to the X58. I don't think that will be the case next generation. To be honest, I'd be really tempted to get a $200 X58 board and a i7 950.
This is pretty much speculation at the moment still. The same thing was said about Nehalem back in the day as well.
Old November 4, 2010, 12:58 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I've heard of the overclocking issues. They are just speculation, but not good sounding speculation...

And while I've been around here long enough to know that these forums are mostly as friendly as us Canadians are said to be, I don't take offense to hits at my power supply or video cards. I picked the power supply for one reason and one reason only: it was pretty. It has flashy lights and changing colors and I have ADHD. (in your defense my mobo half-died a few months back. It gives random BSoDs once in a while and I took it to my old work and replaced every component but the motherboard and it still happened. Whether the PSU was to blame I can't prove, but I'd put money on it)

And yes, I've been doing a lot of reading while I wait for the software builds i'm doing at work, and unless I see something earth shattering about the sandy bridges, I'll probably be building this December (take advantage of the boxing day sales :D ). And I see where you are coming from about the all-at-once upgrade. I intend on buying everything I need but the video cards right away, and if money permits, I will get a single video card for now so I can upgrade later to SLI.

Last edited by browner87; November 4, 2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: grammar check :)
Old November 4, 2010, 01:22 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

waiting game sucks ass lol. I got myself an i7 920 setup and overclocked the snot out of it, zero regrets and save a signifigant amount too.