Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

    
View Poll Results: Go with LGA1366 in the next month or two, or wait?
Wait 21 52.50%
Go for 1366 19 47.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old November 5, 2010, 10:30 AM
Skyllz's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 759

My System Specs

Default

On that same vein... My Corsair TX750 PSU i bought 3 years ago is the only part left from a few systems i've had since then. I totally dont regret going with a quality PSU at the time.

The only thing different i'd do today is go got a modular PSU instead.
__________________
Is smoke supposed to come out of there?
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old November 5, 2010, 10:37 AM
browner87's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 34

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyllz View Post
The only thing different i'd do today is go got a modular PSU instead.
Yes, definitely. It's much easier to keep a clean, neat wiring job with modular cables. Any computer can benefit from that. Especially one like mine with a window in the side :P

Any comments on the Rampage 3 formula? I really like that board, but I'm open to suggestions also.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old November 5, 2010, 11:01 AM
Banned
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: mtl
Posts: 12,694
Default

either way, you're set. let us know how the build proceeds :)
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old November 5, 2010, 11:06 AM
browner87's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 34

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
let us know how the build proceeds :)

Of course :), bearing in mind I'm going to be waiting until after Christmas...

Maybe I'll post a pic or two and some overclocking results while I'm at it :D
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old November 5, 2010, 12:48 PM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,066

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by browner87 View Post
Yes, definitely. It's much easier to keep a clean, neat wiring job with modular cables. Any computer can benefit from that. Especially one like mine with a window in the side :P

Any comments on the Rampage 3 formula? I really like that board, but I'm open to suggestions also.
It is for sure a high end board. I am a Fan Of ASUS and of EVGA. Something from EVGA's stable will be just as good, and both have great Customer Service.

End of the day the decision is yours, but I think you'll be happy if you went with the Rampage, or an EVGA board.

ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old December 13, 2010, 02:32 AM
Grampa's Avatar
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 185

My System Specs

Default

Wow, sorry I'm late to the party on this thread.

Hello everyone, I'm new here, and this is my first posting.

I'd like to chime in a little here, if I may.

I've actually gone through this same situation recently, only that I'm upgrading from an old e8400 core 2 duo.

I myself had been debating at the time between going with an 1156/1366 for personal use.
While I may not necessarily be able to max out the cpu load, I'd still like to have ample amount of power available in the event I decided to start using these computers for more than just a few games, and folding.
I also wanted to look into overclocking eventually.

Anyhow... having read that there was new, I ended up buying parts for both 1366, and 1156, as well as an AM3 based 1090T (also bought the just released 1100T to try out... no I do not have a limit for budget, so when I resell the items I don't need/want I'll be giving some folks some really nice deals. Some items I have not even plugged in and used! however since I'm past the point of refunds as I did not start building these until a month later, its a moot point, and I already knew I'd take a loss due to time constraints from my line of work)

For my personal use, I'm leaning towards the 1156, and 1366 units and tinker around with those (yes I know its all old tech now, and about to be replaced), but the way I look at it... the grass will always seem greener in the next pasture.
The current cpu platforms, that are on the market have been tried, and tested.
I also don't see any better time than the present, to be getting the best bang for the buck, with manufacturers and retailers who will want to offload their inventories, to make room for newer items.
Isn't it always like this no matter what consumer products we look at?

I've found myself perfectly happy making due with whats current (ly going out).
I mean especially coming from an old e8400... everything I've tried the past month and a bit is lightning fast!

Whatever you decide to do... hopefully you have as much fun as I have putting together your new system.
For some of us it has certainly been a while, but well worth the wait.

Cheers,
-Gramps
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old December 13, 2010, 05:56 AM
browner87's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 34

My System Specs

Talking

I've already gone ahead and bought the parts. The computer would have been done a few weeks ago but the PSU was DOA, and I had to wait a bit more than a week (and pay $25 return shipping! Stupid newegg...) to get it back. But it's going good now. I'll post pics and whatnot when I'm done with my modding.

Specs so far:
Core i7-950 @4GHz (still very stable - when I get time I'll see if I can push to 4.5 or so)
Rampage III Formula
eVga GTX 470
6GB Crucial Ballistix tracer
2x WD Caviar black (1 TB) (RAID0) + 1x WD Caviar green (1.5TB) + 1x Seagate Barracuda (500GB)
Thermalright Ultra-120 extreme
Corsair TX950 (950 watt PSU)
All in my Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570

__________________


Last edited by browner87; December 13, 2010 at 05:57 AM. Reason: (it's not a Caviar Greed...)
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old December 13, 2010, 09:48 AM
bkh2's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 265

My System Specs

Default

Since you already decided to go with a 1366 platform, would it have been better to wait for the release of Sandy Bridge to further reduce the i7 prices? I'm just curious as to whether or not that would have been a viable option.
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old December 13, 2010, 09:58 AM
browner87's Avatar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 34

My System Specs

Default

To be honest I was tired of not having a usable gaming computer. My other rig had a dead mobo and half-dead PSU. It was either build a new computer now, or buy a new mobo and wait until next summer. I don't think it would have been worth the price to buy a new mobo just for a few months. I also just recently found out that I'm moving away for a few months and I'd like to have a good computer while I'm there.

So, since the price drop on the i7-950 likely wouldn't match the cost of a new motherboard I just decided to go for it. It's my new attitude in life. Stop sitting and thinking forever about it, just do it.

Besides - I love how my games look with all settings maxed at 1680x1050 :)
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old December 13, 2010, 12:24 PM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 5,932

My System Specs

Default

...2011 isn't until Q4 next year correct?....the new SandyBridge won't be any faster than OC'able 1366 now correct? ......I'll likely be replacing my X58 System, but not until 2011 debuts.
__________________
Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico

.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New i7 or wait Video_freak New Builds 20 October 3, 2010 04:00 AM
Get SSD or wait for Q4 Pine Storage 12 August 28, 2010 11:14 AM
Wait a second... LacrosseTown Video Cards 6 May 25, 2010 10:26 AM
Wait to upgrade? RBA Video Cards 18 March 17, 2010 08:44 AM
Buy now or wait? HermesĄ˘ New Builds 9 December 22, 2008 10:26 PM