Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

View Poll Results: Go with LGA1366 in the next month or two, or wait?
Wait 21 52.50%
Go for 1366 19 47.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2010, 07:01 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I think you're right. The reason I was initially considering waiting was because I heard that sandy bridge would be out early Q1 2010 if not earlier. Since I won't be building until Christmas anyways (I'm putting newegg gift cards on my wish list) I thought it might be worth a 2 month wait for a board that will support newer CPUs, but as it was pointed out really good boards take time to mature. So probably, I will just go ahead and build.

Old November 5, 2010, 08:34 AM
Banned
F@H

btw, why not go super cheap the way of the athlon Ii and a nice cf mobo? :) gonna run you real cheap.
Old November 5, 2010, 08:38 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I'm an intel fanboy. And I'm not going for super cheap, quite the opposite. I'm on a budget, but I want to spend as close to that budget as possible to get a really good computer. Otherwise I'd just straight up go for an i5 or something. Or just buy a new PSU and Mobo and keep my Q6600.

Old November 5, 2010, 09:13 AM
Banned
F@H

i5,unless bought super cheap, is a waste of money vs an oc'ed i3 :p

new psu you can take towards your next builds..mobo, depends how cheap you find one.
Old November 5, 2010, 09:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
i5,unless bought super cheap, is a waste of money vs an oc'ed i3 :p

new psu you can take towards your next builds..mobo, depends how cheap you find one.

Why Dan, do you always assume that everyone Overclocks?

I don't anymore, haven't in years. And that would make your above statement invalid.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 5, 2010, 09:20 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

PSU I'm definitely going all out for - a good PSU makes a whole system more reliable and in theory it will be good for years and years to come. For the motherboard, the best I've seen for the money so far is the Asus Rampage III Formula. It's got a lot of great features and I trust Asus mobos.

SoulTribunal: That assumption may not always be true, but for me it is :D. Hence the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme.

Last edited by browner87; November 5, 2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old November 5, 2010, 09:29 AM
Banned
F@H

cool. i believe i mention the m12d 850 a number of times per day in here. just wait for a super special on it and get it, unless you will be building pretty soon. well you got to make up your mind for it.

with that much juice you'll be fine even with 2 gtx 480's or the equivalent should you need that much power.

lookie here and here
Old November 5, 2010, 09:38 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I'll have (when it's all done) 2 GTX 460's, (probably not 480, but you never know depending on boxing day sales), 5 hard drives, 6 fans or so, 2 UV lights, a cold cathode light, and maybe a few other odds&ends. And if I ever step up to water cooling (very possible) I'd try and get a pump that's powered internally off the power supply.

So, I looked here. It even rated .5 points better than the one above.

Old November 5, 2010, 09:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by browner87 View Post
PSU I'm definitely going all out for - a good PSU makes a whole system more reliable and in theory it will be good for years and years to come. For the motherboard, the best I've seen for the money so far is the Asus Rampage III Formula. It's got a lot of great features and I trust Asus mobos.

SoulTribunal: That assumption may not always be true, but for me it is :D. Hence the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme.
No thats fine , I was just trying to make a point on something.

As for the PSU, although is very good something like a NZXT Hale 90 in an 850w or Corsairs AX850 would be more than sufficent for what you need and the platforms they are based on have better regulation and Efficency, as well as much new topology so it might be worth a look to see if you'd rather invest in that.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 5, 2010, 10:04 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
... they are based on have better regulation and Efficency, as well as much new topology so it might be worth a look to see if you'd rather invest in that.
This is the number one reason I love forums like this. This is the exact reason I come here. People who are so dam knowledgeable! That model is about $50 cheaper than the 1000W. I'll definitely take a close look at both when picking!

Thanks