Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

View Poll Results: Go with LGA1366 in the next month or two, or wait?
Wait 21 52.50%
Go for 1366 19 47.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 4, 2010, 01:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
This is pretty much speculation at the moment still. The same thing was said about Nehalem back in the day as well.
I wish.

Intel plans to deliberately limit Sandy Bridge overclocking | bit-tech.net

And the relevant page from Anand's article about Sandy Bridge Architecture:

Intel's Sandy Bridge Architecture Exposed - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Whether the LGA2011 chips will be limited in the same ways I haven't been able to find any info on yet.
Old November 4, 2010, 01:46 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Waiting sucks, I would go with an 1156 system. You can get a nice setup for cheap, use it for 6 months to a year and then look into SB. My 2c.
Old November 4, 2010, 06:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If your current system is doing what you need it to then why not hold out. If it is lacking then just go for it. Something new is always just around the corner.
Old November 4, 2010, 07:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

err...

I apologize if I offended anyone, that wasn't my intention.. I was just pointing out (in my round about way) that the PSU is crap, and that the OP shouldn't be using it in a new (heck, or even current, but I didn't imply that in the first place) build. Obviously if it's working for you now there's no complaints, but I wouldn't transfer it to a new system, despite it being a 680W supply which is sufficient for most non-SLI builds. (i.e buying a low-wattage pus for your current computer and using the Apevia you have for a new rig).

I don't think I was being rude to the poor Apevia PSU (it's well deserved, in my opinion), but I'll e-mail Apevia and apologize if it's really necessary :\

and for the record, I did not trash or disrespect any other component in the system.
Old November 4, 2010, 07:15 PM
Banned
F@H

you guys seriously have to learn not to diss all apevia psu's like that. sure its not an antec,seasonic,and many others lol but its not absolute crap. there is worse.
Old November 4, 2010, 07:27 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I just ditched my E8500(with buggy mobo) for a i5 750 that I have already overclocked a little(3.2) and it's running daaaaaaaamn fine.

I cant see myself running out of CPU for quite a while now. It's nice to have shiny new things but in the end... you are only keeping up with the Joneses.
Old November 4, 2010, 07:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I say wait, but not for the new socket... but for the Black Friday sales
Wait for those to come around then jump on the upgrade for whatever happens to be the bottleneck in your system right now.

...then again you're looking at the post from someone who bought the Phenom 9950 two weeks before the Phenom II 940 came out, and is currently dreading how much said 9950 gets slaughtered in any single-threaded tasks...
Old November 5, 2010, 05:57 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
If your current system is doing what you need it to then why not hold out. If it is lacking then just go for it. Something new is always just around the corner.
It's not working. My mobo (as I mentioned above) is puking. Random BSoDs constantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
...Obviously if it's working for you now there's no complaints, but I wouldn't transfer it to a new system,...
It's not really. It's been giving problems for a while. I never EVER intended on keeping it in a new build.

I'm afraid I didn't clarify in my first post, bit I'm looking at buying a RAMPAGE III Formula and a Corsair 1000W PSU and Crucial Ballistix Tracer RAM. And of course an Intel Core-i& 950.

Old November 5, 2010, 06:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

IMHO the 1136 will do anything you want and may even be overkill for most people. It is powerful enough to last awhile and videocard upgrades will keep you happy. My 2 cents.
Old November 5, 2010, 06:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
err...

I apologize if I offended anyone, that wasn't my intention.. I was just pointing out (in my round about way) that the PSU is crap, and that the OP shouldn't be using it in a new (heck, or even current, but I didn't imply that in the first place) build. Obviously if it's working for you now there's no complaints, but I wouldn't transfer it to a new system, despite it being a 680W supply which is sufficient for most non-SLI builds. (i.e buying a low-wattage pus for your current computer and using the Apevia you have for a new rig).

I don't think I was being rude to the poor Apevia PSU (it's well deserved, in my opinion), but I'll e-mail Apevia and apologize if it's really necessary :\

and for the record, I did not trash or disrespect any other component in the system.
Thank you for at least setting the record straight. My only point was that there are better ways to say such things.

Back on Topic.
I agree with Stoanee's and everyone else who has said it here.
Get a system together now that you will like , and don't worry about the wait.
It has been echoed many times already but there are always new technologies around the corner. Best to grab what you need now.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com