Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2010, 03:13 PM
Rookie

Default Amd upgrade

I have been wanting to upgrade mu comp for quite a while but just haven't had the budget for it. Just need to replace mb, cpu and ram.

Lately I have been looking at the Amd Phenom II X4 955BE and 965BE and trying to decide on a board to go with it. Today I was browsing NCIX and saw a bundle on sale for what I think is a good price. I am just having a hard time trying to figure out if I should stick to my original plan of a 965BE or grab this bundle.

I would love to get some thoughts and advice on how this bundle compares.

NCIX.com - Buy NCIX Gaming Bundle Deal AMD Phenom II X4 900E 65W OEM CPU & MSI 770-G45 DDR3 CrossFire Motherboard - X4 900E & 770-G45 In Canada.

I was planning on grabbing a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus (which is also on sale) for the heatsink which I believe will fit in my CM690 case. Other than that I was looking at a 4gb set of Gskill Ripjaws but unsure as to which set.

Mumbly
Old October 28, 2010, 03:37 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

What kind of tasks do you plan to perform with this new mobo and cpu??
Old October 28, 2010, 04:00 PM
Banned
F@H

perhaps you could list all the components that make up your present puter as well? :)
Old October 28, 2010, 04:18 PM
Rookie

Hehe...I was actually going to post this in the "new build" section and list all the stuff but thought it might be easier to just ask about the bundle here.

Mostly a gamer, playing World of Warcraft currently.

Will be upgrading from a Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 939, 2mb ram, DFI Ultra-d mb. Rest of my stuff is CM690 case, WD Black 640gb HD, Nvidia 8800GTS 640mb vid, LG dvd burner and new Thermaltake TR2 RX650w power supply. I think that was it.
Old October 28, 2010, 04:37 PM
Banned
F@H

ok that will be quite an upgrade. as per above, depending on what you do with it well be able to help.

for motherboard, im thinking giga 870a or ud3. you could also find something cheaper, along the lines of a 785g with single or dual pci-e. good clockers. lots of parallel tasks=need for quad. games and not much more, a duallie can do the jobbe plenty. either or i say got with a 240/250 or in the quad any phenom II c3 stepping, or even athlon II c3 as well. c3 because thats the latest
Old October 28, 2010, 05:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If your after gaming performance, I'd say just drop in a new video card for now. Worry about CPU/RAM/Motherboard later.

That bundle is a pretty good deal though, but I agree with dan, should look into a better motherboard. At least the 800-series chipsets.
Old October 28, 2010, 05:45 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
If your after gaming performance, I'd say just drop in a new video card for now. Worry about CPU/RAM/Motherboard later.

That bundle is a pretty good deal though, but I agree with dan, should look into a better motherboard. At least the 800-series chipsets.
Don't you think his CPU will bottleneck a better video card?
Old October 28, 2010, 06:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth- View Post
Don't you think his CPU will bottleneck a better video card?
It's a 2GHz dual-core. Not that terrible IMO. Faster than Pentium D's.

Obviously it's not up to snuff with Core 2/i3/i5/i7 or Athlon/Phenom II, but I doubt swapping out CPUs would net any large gain in FPS. If the OP is after faster day-to-day performance, then yes CPU/RAM/Motherboard is the way to go.
Old October 28, 2010, 06:26 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I agree with jdrom17. If you're gaming and mostly playing WoW, just get a new or 'newer' used video card for now. That 3800+ X2 is good enough. I have one sitting on my desk that I had in a system with a Radeon 4870 for my wife. It rocked out most games with ease. Unfortunately she doesn't have time to get into gaming because of the kiddies, so I decided to part the system out. It was solid.

That CPU in a good mobo will overclock to at least 2.7GHz with ease, and that DFI you have should do the trick. If I'm not mistaken I believe the Ultra-D is THE best socket 939 board there is, no??

BTW if you do decide to go bigger, there's a slightly bigger AMD quad out now.... the 970BE.

Last edited by Killswitch; October 28, 2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old October 28, 2010, 09:48 PM
Rookie

Sounds good guys. I will look for a better card. I think the Ultra-D was the best 939 board back in the day. I should take a look and try an OC.

Thanks again for the advice.

Mumbly