Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23, 2010, 01:01 AM
Rookie

_dangtx_: Thanks for the tips. I played with timings and was able to get 2gb of ram to work but only in single channel mode. Better than nothing I guess.

JD: Thanks for the advice. I will keep shopping tomorrow and see what else I can find. Do the Canadian sites have black friday/ cyber monday sales as well? Wasn't sure if it was just a US thing or not.

ST: Thanks for the advice. I will try to piece something together with the advice you all have given me.

Can't thank you enough.

Mumbly
Old November 23, 2010, 01:25 AM
Banned
F@H

no worries maite. single vs dual chan you are not mising out that much.

keep your eyes on the deals section here, or on the ncix weekly/super whatever christmas and the like deals.
Old November 23, 2010, 05:10 AM
Banned

The difference between dual and single channel is only a few percent so I wouldn't worry about it
Old November 23, 2010, 10:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly View Post
_dangtx_: Thanks for the tips. I played with timings and was able to get 2gb of ram to work but only in single channel mode. Better than nothing I guess.

JD: Thanks for the advice. I will keep shopping tomorrow and see what else I can find. Do the Canadian sites have black friday/ cyber monday sales as well? Wasn't sure if it was just a US thing or not.

ST: Thanks for the advice. I will try to piece something together with the advice you all have given me.

Can't thank you enough.

Mumbly
Thats what we are here for mate, good luck with the build and I am sure you will enjoy whatever it is you end up with.
Feel free to post pics up once its done in our gallery. The more the merrier over there.

Best Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 23, 2010, 08:56 PM
Rookie

Huge thanks to all that had posted and responded. I am sorry for making this thread a 3 pager. It certainly wasn't my intention.

I am going to try and hold off until Thursday to see the next Ncix specials. I am hoping and praying that they will list something that is perfect for me. I have my finger's crossed.

Thanks again everyone. This place is the best.

Mumbly
Old November 24, 2010, 10:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

No worries about the thread length. I'm sure there's much longer on here

Canada does have Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales, but not as big as the US. Still I'm sure NCIX will have some decent prices tonight. I'd expect their site to be down around 9-10PM EST.
Old November 25, 2010, 12:50 PM
Rookie

Alright guys. I have been milling over the new sale stuff on NCIX. Not a tremendous amount to choose from but this doesn't look too bad.

Would love to get your thoughts.

MB+CPU Combo

NCIX.com - Buy NCIX Gaming Bundle Deal Intel Core i5 760 Quad Core & MSI P55A-G55 CrossFire DDR3 USB3 Motherboard - i5 760 + MSI P55A-G55 In Canada.

Ram

NCIX.com - Buy G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Core i5 1.5V Memory Kit - F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL In Canada.

Would I need to overclock to get this 1600 ram to work?

Also forgot to add. I had looked at the Gigabyte 6850 and had it Pm'd but the pm'd price expired so they are all roughly $190'ish regardless of manufacturer. I am leaning back towards the XFX due to the warranty. I have seen a review that the XFX is loud tho. Would anyone know if that is the case firsthand?

Last edited by Mumbly; November 25, 2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old November 25, 2010, 01:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Looks good. You don't have to overclock the CPU to run the RAM at 1600, the CPU should still be able to run stock (or close to it). It's still considered overclocking though as 1600 isn't officially supported.
Old November 25, 2010, 04:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If the price is right and you have the money go for it.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 5, 2010, 01:13 PM
Rookie

Just an update and to thank those who were answering all my questions. I ended buying the bundle deal, ram and 6850 that I linked above in post #37. Seems to working great so far.

Really appreciate all the help guys!!

Mumbly