Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 26, 2010, 10:12 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkultra View Post

not necessarily

i've runned 20pass of linx back in the days i was still believing and crashed while playing cod4, that's when i lost faith

I am sure many can get away with running games on an unstable system as most gaming does not stress the computer heavily [/quote]

you'd be surprise, of course i'm talking the games i'm playing cod4-5/bfbc2/dirt2/f2010
they don't load your cpu @ 100% load but they requires stability, and that is cpu/ram/gpu at the same time(because yes i run with all 3 OCed). I never been able to play one of those games more than an hour or 2 when not stable.

encoding a bluray in h264 for 10-20hours ~100% load demands stabilty, cpu AND ram.(this is usually my final test)

yes using linx/p95 does work but i think it's faster with my tools than letting my comp running overnight only to wake up on a BSOD. (when did it happen? what was the cause?...who knows i was sleeping) How many trial and errors can you make that way...1 by day? jeez talk about inefficiency

temperature concern is a thing i'm not used too anymore because i use watercooling only, my days of air overclocking are well behind me. With a good watercooling system you will hit a virtual wall before being limited by temperature.

another good way to test stability without "wasting" cycles is to fold , try it on an unstable system you'll see bsod and errors showing up soon enough, no need to wait overnight.
Sorry to hear you couldn't keep stable after 20 linx runs playing cod4.

Yes running games require complete system stability but he's only overclocking his CPU. Which he should only be concerned about his CPU and RAM, not GPU. He hasn't mentioned any of his bios settings yet so it's hard to determine if he is stressing his RAM.

You can check for BSOD errors in the windows event logger, you can also halt restarts on BSOD.

I can run my stability tests in 10-20 hrs so im not sure how your methods are any faster. I can do 9-10 sets of 20 Linx runs in 10 hrs.

Yes effecient overclocking takes time its for enthusiast not for the impatient.

I only do overnights when tweaking voltages for effecient stable overclocks.

Anyways these stress tools are available and easy to use and there are reasons why they exist and used by many.

To each his own.

Last edited by vohiep84; October 26, 2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old October 26, 2010, 10:47 AM
Rookie

Do memtest86 for 4-5 pass to make sure your ram is working properly, because most of the time it is ram that gives you bsod. Then i would do prim95 custom blend test with all remaining ram for 2-3 hours. My computer been rock solid stable if they pass those tests. Get a good book while you wait for those tests to finish. My load temperature under 3.8ghz oc is 75 (or 70 w/o the side panel) which i'm slightly happy about
Old October 26, 2010, 01:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Some great points above why we Stress Test correctly and utilize the tools available based upon our own methodology of testing........certainly gaming or 20 passes of LinX is anything but "proven" stable for me, that is why I use LinX 20 passes to see where I stand..then run an overnight P95 Small FFT / Blend for rock solid piece of mind and NO, I have never had a BSOD while gaming after my methodology of testing.....but as was said...to each his own, although I do dislike seeing folks post up thier OC Templates when they haven't been "properly" proven stable....its simply misleading.

Yes, stable OC's can take some time....in fact I was working on tweaking my 980X to 4.15 Ghz for a few weeks to find the absolute sweet spot.....its the nature of the beast, but I do know I will not suffer any BSOD's nor will my friends , relatives or clients that I tweak for!

Old October 26, 2010, 01:29 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Some great points above why we Stress Test correctly and utilize the tools available based upon our own methodology of testing........certainly gaming or 20 passes of LinX is anything but "proven" stable for me, that is why I use LinX 20 passes to see where I stand..then run an overnight P95 Small FFT / Blend for rock solid piece of mind and NO, I have never had a BSOD while gaming after my methodology of testing.....but as was said...to each his own, although I do dislike seeing folks post up thier OC Templates when they haven't been "properly" proven stable....its simply misleading.

Yes, stable OC's can take some time....in fact I was working on tweaking my 980X to 4.15 Ghz for a few weeks to find the absolute sweet spot.....its the nature of the beast, but I do know I will not suffer any BSOD's nor will my friends , relatives or clients that I tweak for!
i 100 percent agree with you, I just order some IC Diamond thermal paste, waiting for that to come in to replace the artic silver I got, but I decrease the QPI voltages and it lower temps dramatically, still not stable yet, gonna work on it some more.
Old October 26, 2010, 06:13 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinhang View Post
Do memtest86 for 4-5 pass to make sure your ram is working properly, because most of the time it is ram that gives you bsod. Then i would do prim95 custom blend test with all remaining ram for 2-3 hours. My computer been rock solid stable if they pass those tests. Get a good book while you wait for those tests to finish. My load temperature under 3.8ghz oc is 75 (or 70 w/o the side panel) which i'm slightly happy about
memtest86 for 5 passes, passed with no errors :)
Old October 26, 2010, 07:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Good stuff......now hav you disabled VDroop and tried 1.3v (vCore) ? If you try it, and it fails try 1.325v.....leave VDroop Disabled and note (write down) what the vCore Load is while stressing....you'll notice it goes "up" a little bit from what you set in the BIOS as apposed to going down a lot with Droop enabled.

Old October 26, 2010, 08:31 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkultra View Post

i've runned 20pass of linx back in the days i was still believing and crashed while playing cod4, that's when i lost faith
Because 20 passes isn't near enough. 20 passes can take as little as 30 minutes depending on amount of ram you have. Of course such a short time will not check all that much for stability.
Old October 27, 2010, 03:57 AM
MVP

My System Specs

6gb is kinda long i think, running linx with anything but max mem is a worst thought than using linx itself
Old October 27, 2010, 12:28 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
^^^ Good stuff......now hav you disabled VDroop and tried 1.3v (vCore) ? If you try it, and it fails try 1.325v.....leave VDroop Disabled and note (write down) what the vCore Load is while stressing....you'll notice it goes "up" a little bit from what you set in the BIOS as apposed to going down a lot with Droop enabled.
ill try 1.325 v now, and yes I have vdroop off, currently my VTT is at 50 mv and QPI at 1.125
Old October 27, 2010, 01:01 PM
MVP

My System Specs

tried 1.325 v, still failed running P95, the voltage at load was .9028 v