Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24, 2010, 08:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ See my added edit...it also refers to your other Post re: Getting your 930 to 4Ghz.....as for the Thermal Grease, too much is not good as too little is not good, as for amount and method, depends on the type you used....personally I use IC7 Diamond "pea size" in the middle.....rice grain size in the middle for others.....some guys spread it thinly themselves.....

FYI......my old 920 at 4Ghz ran too warm for my liking...I settled on 3.85 Ghz for great Thermals / Voltages....unoticeable differences running Apps / Games on an I7 at 3.85 Ghz vs 4 Ghz......remember your looking for the "sweet spot" when OC'ing.....highest OC wuth lowest possible Voltages / Heat......

Old October 24, 2010, 08:32 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
^^^ See my added edit...it also refers to your other Post re: Getting your 930 to 4Ghz.....as for the Thermal Grease, too much is not good as too little is not good, as for amount and method, depends on the type you used....personally I use IC7 Diamond "pea size" in the middle.....rice grain size in the middle for others.....some guys spread it thinly themselves.....

FYI......my old 920 at 4Ghz ran too warm for my liking...I settled on 3.85 Ghz for great Thermals / Voltages....unoticeable differences running Apps / Games on an I7 at 3.85 Ghz vs 4 Ghz......remember your looking for the "sweet spot" when OC'ing.....highest OC wuth lowest possible Voltages / Heat......
I'm using artic silver, tomorrow I'll try reapplying the thermal compound, but 100 mv for VTT should be good, or should I go lower
Old October 24, 2010, 09:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ As for your QPI Voltage ...lower and test...lower and test again......their really is no easy "short cuts"....I find the most frustrating part of OC'ing is the Stability Testing, particularly when one tweak will now require testing.....start P95 and bam, a friggin BSOD on hour 6...thats frustrating!

Really I think you may find lowering QPI Voltage (this may require bumping up vCore) may result in lower temps.......again...not all chips are created equal unfortunately.
Your vcore seems low for 4 Ghz.....play with it...try +50mv or +75mv an test....if it fails bump up vCore and keep an eye on your temps while testing.

EDIT: in hindsight...your QPI (Bclk) is pretty high, so you may not be able to lower your vTT at much less than +150mv.......you can also try raising your uncore to x17...that may help you lower vTT (and raise vCore)....but your high temps maybe your ceiling indeed.....

Welcome to the wonderful world of OC'ing......

Last edited by rjbarker; October 24, 2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old October 24, 2010, 09:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

yeah stability test is pretty frustrating.
Old October 25, 2010, 04:15 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post

I think most of us "serious" OC'ers DO care what our Load Temps are while running Stress testing to "prove" stability......I for one certainly do.......
jeez i didn't know running linx made you a "serious" Ocers

Stresstesting is so overrated, using games and encoding video etc will do the same thing while not climbing temp the way linx/prime does, plus it's much more enjoyable.

running 8hours of prime or 20pass of linx is a joke and put unneeded stress/heat on the hardware.

I'm not arguing those temps are high, just i wish to know how high they would go in daily use
no way gaming/encoding will bring temp that high so yes i think temps under linx are totally useless, sorry if go against the trend of "serious" linx OCers.
linx/etc is just used as a virutal penis these days
Old October 25, 2010, 06:22 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkultra View Post

Stresstesting is so overrated, using games and encoding video etc will do the same thing while not climbing temp the way linx/prime does, plus it's much more enjoyable.

running 8hours of prime or 20pass of linx is a joke and put unneeded stress/heat on the hardware.

I'm not arguing those temps are high, just i wish to know how high they would go in daily use
no way gaming/encoding will bring temp that high so yes i think temps under linx are totally useless, sorry if go against the trend of "serious" linx OCers.
Haha, I'm just gonna mess around with the settings a little more today.
Old October 26, 2010, 07:27 AM
Rookie

I was jsut testing my set up last night. The temperature saw a good 5 degrees drop after i removed the side fan and a 7 degree drop when i remove the side panel completely. Now i'm thinking of poking holes everywhere on my side panel to simulate that effect
Old October 26, 2010, 08:18 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkultra View Post

Personally I don't think stress testing is overrated and for e-peen sake. For me I use these tools to test my computerís stability at its highest demand. If it can run rock stable at those settings it can handle anything you throw at it and below.

Also with some knowledge of overclocking these stress testing programs give you the feedback you require to make the appropriate tweaks to get your computer stable.

I am sure many can get away with running games on an unstable system as most gaming does not stress the computer heavily. As for video encoding I am not sure as I never have.

I do I agree these stability programs do exceed temperatures that you will see in normal everyday use but when your processor demands power do you have it? and that's one of the leading causes to unstable systems.

I agree that stressing is not fun as gaming or video encoding but you can always run the test overnight.
Old October 26, 2010, 09:26 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
If it can run rock stable at those settings it can handle anything you throw at it and below.

not necessarily

i've runned 20pass of linx back in the days i was still believing and crashed while playing cod4, that's when i lost faith

[quote]I am sure many can get away with running games on an unstable system as most gaming does not stress the computer heavily [/quote]

you'd be surprise, of course i'm talking the games i'm playing cod4-5/bfbc2/dirt2/f2010
they don't load your cpu @ 100% load but they requires stability, and that is cpu/ram/gpu at the same time(because yes i run with all 3 OCed). I never been able to play one of those games more than an hour or 2 when not stable.

encoding a bluray in h264 for 10-20hours ~100% load demands stabilty, cpu AND ram.(this is usually my final test)

Quote:
I agree that stressing is not fun as gaming or video encoding but you can always run the test overnight.
yes using linx/p95 does work but i think it's faster with my tools than letting my comp running overnight only to wake up on a BSOD. (when did it happen? what was the cause?...who knows i was sleeping) How many trial and errors can you make that way...1 by day? jeez talk about inefficiency

temperature concern is a thing i'm not used too anymore because i use watercooling only, my days of air overclocking are well behind me. With a good watercooling system you will hit a virtual wall before being limited by temperature.

another good way to test stability without "wasting" cycles is to fold , try it on an unstable system you'll see bsod and errors showing up soon enough, no need to wait overnight.
Old October 26, 2010, 09:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
another good way to test stability without "wasting" cycles is to fold , try it on an unstable system you'll see bsod and errors showing up soon enough, no need to wait overnight.
Unless you're using older saved WUs, using FAH to stress test stands a good chance of doing bad science. It's because I fold 24/7 and want my systems to be a close to stable as possible that I do a 12+ hour Prime blend on my OC's prior to running FAH on them.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; October 26, 2010 at 10:03 AM.