Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 18, 2007, 01:46 PM
Rookie
F@H

Default Maximus Extreme

Hi guys,i'm new here and i wanted to know if anyone has the Maximus Extreme for motherboard?
I need to know if it's the best choice for some serious overclock.
I will use the OCZ FLEX XLC ddr3 pc3 12800 at 1600mhz(6-6-6-18) which is water cooled.
I will post the entire specs of my rig in a future post,thanks!
Old December 18, 2007, 02:04 PM
Rookie

"Vapochill chills Intel QX9770 to a record-shattering 4.5GHz"

Vapochill chills Intel QX9770 to a record-shattering 4.5GHz - The INQUIRER

if you need it it's available.
Old December 18, 2007, 02:09 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Personally, I think water cooled ram is completely pointless. Rather, check out the Corsair Dominator XMP kit. I know NCIX is having a sale with the Dominators along with the Maximus Extreme and the QX9650:

NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.

I HIGHLY recommend you go that route since it will save you a load of money.
Old December 18, 2007, 02:30 PM
Rookie
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Personally, I think water cooled ram is completely pointless. Rather, check out the Corsair Dominator XMP kit. I know NCIX is having a sale with the Dominators along with the Maximus Extreme and the QX9650:

NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.

I HIGHLY recommend you go that route since it will save you a load of money.
Thank you for the fast reply,i wanted to choose dominator pc3 14400 at 1800mhz but i read that i would be better to go with the OCZ 12800 at 1600 for overclocking.

I have to tell you that it's my first serious gaming rig.I'm planning on spending between 4 to 5 grand on my rig so i really want to make the right decisions first before the built.

Every recommandations on the best rig possible and configurations for that price range would be greatly apreciated. Did i say thanks?
Old December 18, 2007, 02:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

I've seen numerous reviews of OCZ's flex memory, where they determine that watercooling does nothing but slightly lower internal case temperatures. Best bet is to just have a small fan assembly blowing on them.

I don't quite get that Inq article... didn't Hipro5 get 4.5 Ghz out of one of the new chips with nothing but an air cooler?

EDIT: Almost forgot. Double-check that whatever case you choose will hold the board. IIRC, at some of the Maximus boards are an inch wider than standard ATX form.
Old December 18, 2007, 03:26 PM
Rookie
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
I've seen numerous reviews of OCZ's flex memory, where they determine that watercooling does nothing but slightly lower internal case temperatures. Best bet is to just have a small fan assembly blowing on them.

I don't quite get that Inq article... didn't Hipro5 get 4.5 Ghz out of one of the new chips with nothing but an air cooler?

EDIT: Almost forgot. Double-check that whatever case you choose will hold the board. IIRC, at some of the Maximus boards are an inch wider than standard ATX form.
Thanks,about that case,it will hold extended ATX as well here it is:

SwordM VD500LBNA

let me know what you really think about this case please,i want the best case available with the most space and ventilation possibilities money can get.
If you feel it's useless or ugly or any other opinion concerning this case,please say so.

I want my first water cooled rig to be already set up for the cpu and chipset cooling.
Once i learn more about water systems and come to get familiar with it all,i will build an extra cooling system,another loop to go with all the upgrades i will put inside during the next months.
As you can see,i will require a lot of help in the water cooling and overclocking department lol but i love a good challenge and this one seems to be the biggest i have ever undertaken. thanks!
Old December 18, 2007, 03:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

haha! well if you can afford it why the hell not- looks like alot of fun. how much are you paying for it?

Black Thermaltake SwordM Aluminum Full Tower Liquid Cooling Case VD500LBNA Computer Case Liquid Cooling System Water Cooled Cases 120 Blue LED Fans-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com it's 529 here
Old December 18, 2007, 05:08 PM
Allstar
F@H

Man, what a messed up looking case! Truthfully, I wouldn't mind it so much if it wasn't for those...flaps on the top and bottom of the case? They just look so...useless and tacky. Other then that looks like an interesting case to say the least!
Old December 18, 2007, 05:27 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I have one right here. That is THE best case I have laid my hands on so far.

The flap at the top? Easy access if you want to mount a triple-fan rad. And yes, it has the mounting holes for dual and triple fan rads at the top.

Flap at the bottom? There is none. Unless you are talking about the pull-out tray for extra screws.

Also, about the memory....I am recommending the Dominators since they support the Intel XMP profiles which are a MUST for overclocking with an Asus board with the X38 chipset.
Old December 18, 2007, 06:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

Does that include TT's watercooling? Just looking at the photo's, I don't see any shroud between the 2 120's and the oversized rad. If the case is setup for aftermarket rads, it might be better to the watercooling components aftermarket. Thermaltake's reputation in watercooling is pretty poor, and this is a Koolance owner speaking

EDIT: I see what llama's talking about, with that flap on the bottom. Check out the first picture HERE.