Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 19, 2007, 01:46 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

The board is for Crossfire only, not for nVidia SLI. ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Old December 19, 2007, 02:02 PM
Rookie
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
The board is for Crossfire only, not for nVidia SLI. ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Thanks,so basically i will have to go with ATI or choose another board which will not support the ddr3 i planned on using.

I will buy HD 3870 in Crossfire,since i plan on using water cooling,what would be the best VGA blocks(full coverage)that you would get for these cards?I would prefer to have the whole card cooled rather than have a block+heatsinks.

thanks
Old December 19, 2007, 02:06 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

What I am saying is that you should go with a SINGLE CARD solution at this point in time. This is why I recommend going with the GTS 512MB. THEN you should wait until ATI releases their next card and then you can go with Crossfire if you choose.

Nvidia SLI chipset + DDR3 = Unreleased.
Old December 19, 2007, 03:06 PM
Rookie
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
What I am saying is that you should go with a SINGLE CARD solution at this point in time. This is why I recommend going with the GTS 512MB. THEN you should wait until ATI releases their next card and then you can go with Crossfire if you choose.

Nvidia SLI chipset + DDR3 = Unreleased.
Ok if i understand correctly, i can still use Maximus Extreme and use Nvidia together, but the only difference is that i wont be able to put 2 cards in SLI mode until the release an update for it?

Sorry, i'm a noob.This is the first rig i'm trying to put together and all i want is an optimum gaming platform.

I use to buy my computers ready to go from a small company in my town but the shop is closed now and all i have for option is future shop which will never build my computer
because they wont touch water cooling and and i wouldn't trust someone to build a rig that expensive without him having built a couple of rigs or have at least built his own water cooled rig.
thanks
Old December 19, 2007, 03:36 PM
MVP

Wow first rig to put together? I am glad to see your doing your research first, Let me tell you OC and watercooling is an art, hope you have tonnes of patience. I couldnt do it, i when with the OCing and watercooling and kept getting fusterated when i coulnd hit a certian clock, read on how people are getting 25% more then me with the same hardware grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Good luck and have fun those are the most important things in this game
Tathar WIP*Q9550*Gigabyte EP45-UD3P*OCZ Reaper PC-8500 4gbX2*OCZ Vertex 120gb*WD 1TB WD1001FALS*BFG GTX275*
Old December 19, 2007, 05:50 PM
Rookie
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster View Post
Wow first rig to put together? I am glad to see your doing your research first, Let me tell you OC and watercooling is an art, hope you have tonnes of patience. I couldnt do it, i when with the OCing and watercooling and kept getting fusterated when i coulnd hit a certian clock, read on how people are getting 25% more then me with the same hardware grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Good luck and have fun those are the most important things in this game
O yea i'm patient allright and very optimistic too.The members knows what they are talking about and i'm confident i'll have a beast when it's all done.

I'm gonna have to hire someone to build my rig for me since i know nothing about water-cooling.As a matter of fact i'm gonna ask for a hired hand right now.:help:
Old December 19, 2007, 08:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You're in the Saguenay region, right? Too bad that you are too far from me, I could have helped you build it. But we sure can guide you through the forum. It may look like a daunting task, but actually it's relatively simple.

Like Beermaster wrote, take your time and enjoy the built. Not much can go wrong when building a wc rig; be careful of the following:

- have enough tubing on hand.
- make sure the tubing will not kink with tight bends while creating the path that the tubing will take.
- double check every barb connection, making sure it's tight. While at it, make sure that every tubing end has a clamp
- fill the system while removing most of the air.
- perform a 24 hour leak check while your parts are outside the case. It's difficult to do, but it's the safest way to confirm every connection.
- by the same token, this leak check will bleed the loop of air and micro bubbles.
Old December 19, 2007, 09:33 PM
Rookie
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
You're in the Saguenay region, right? Too bad that you are too far from me, I could have helped you build it. But we sure can guide you through the forum. It may look like a daunting task, but actually it's relatively simple.

Like Beermaster wrote, take your time and enjoy the built. Not much can go wrong when building a wc rig; be careful of the following:

- have enough tubing on hand.
- make sure the tubing will not kink with tight bends while creating the path that the tubing will take.
- double check every barb connection, making sure it's tight. While at it, make sure that every tubing end has a clamp
- fill the system while removing most of the air.
- perform a 24 hour leak check while your parts are outside the case. It's difficult to do, but it's the safest way to confirm every connection.
- by the same token, this leak check will bleed the loop of air and micro bubbles.
you live in montreal right,laval if i'm not mistaken.Well i used to live in St-Eustache so i wouldn't mind going to Laval to benefit from your experience and knowledge.

I'm willing to pay you for the work you are gonna put in if you accept building my rig with me.

I would be willing to go there,stay as long as needed for us to build the rig(if it takes more than a day,i'll stay at an hotel or a friends house,as i have a couple friends still over there.I know we have to test for leakeage and all that before considering the rig a success,and that takes time.that's why i said i wouldn't mind staying at a hotel.

If you want to do it,i'll PM you my info and we'll talk some more.That would make my life so much easier right now!:help: lol

Thanks
Eric
Old December 20, 2007, 02:35 PM
Rookie
F@H

Thanks for all the answers back guys,i've had contact with a fellow member and he offered to help me out in the building of my rig.

This will happen after the hollidays.

There's no word to describe what i'm feeling right now.SIMPLY AMAZING!!!

Thanks again guys for all your inputs and i will post back a ton of pictures about the building and probably a little movie afterwards!

Mucho thank you guys
Eric
Old December 20, 2007, 07:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Good to hear; come back to us once you are ready to order.