Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 18, 2007, 06:50 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The one you see from NCIX does not have built-in WCing. The bottom flap is built so you can smash your foot on it at least once per day.
Old December 18, 2007, 07:08 PM
Rookie
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
I'm gonna pay 600 or 700$cdn,i'm not sure,cause the company who will build it,doesn't carry it.So i will know as soon as he gets the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama_egg View Post
Man, what a messed up looking case! Truthfully, I wouldn't mind it so much if it wasn't for those...flaps on the top and bottom of the case? They just look so...useless and tacky. Other then that looks like an interesting case to say the least!
thanks,i like first impressions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I have one right here. That is THE best case I have laid my hands on so far.

The flap at the top? Easy access if you want to mount a triple-fan rad. And yes, it has the mounting holes for dual and triple fan rads at the top.

Flap at the bottom? There is none. Unless you are talking about the pull-out tray for extra screws.

Also, about the memory....I am recommending the Dominators since they support the Intel XMP profiles which are a MUST for overclocking with an Asus board with the X38 chipset.
Thanks a lot SKYMTL for all these answers today,i will write down everything you guys put forward for me and then i'll be in a better shape to build a major overclocking rig.

I will return back to my first choice which was : Corsair XMS3 Dominator TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFIN DDR3 2X1GB 2GB DDR3-1800 CL 7-7-7-20 XMP Memory Kit
Thanks a lot SKYMTL,i will post my rig setup tomorrow.If you could post your entire setup,SKYMTL,it would give me a general sense for what to look for.

Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Does that include TT's watercooling? Just looking at the photo's, I don't see any shroud between the 2 120's and the oversized rad. If the case is setup for aftermarket rads, it might be better to the watercooling components aftermarket. Thermaltake's reputation in watercooling is pretty poor, and this is a Koolance owner speaking
Thanks for the heads-up,my first goal here is to have a setup which comes out of the box,ready to go and that my builder will work with..Unfortunately he wont build a system with Koolance in it for me.Nor will they sell me a Koolance rig.I couldn't tell you the reason but i figured i'd go with thermaltake and upgrade it for my needs.If it means rebuilding the whole water-cooling system from scratch,i might as well go for the SwordM case without water cooling.
Thanks!

EDIT: I see what llama's talking about, with that flap on the bottom. Check out the first picture HERE.
Old December 18, 2007, 07:11 PM
Rookie
F@H

Quote:
The one you see from NCIX does not have built-in WCing. The bottom flap is built so you can smash your foot on it at least once per day.
lol i wear protection boots all day long so i guess i'll start wearing them in the house too
Old December 18, 2007, 07:19 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Salut et bienvenue!

I believe that the water-cooling is optional...as for TT's quality, I have own 2 of their cases and built a few more for customers - and I'm not impressed. Give me a Lian-Li anytime instead of a TT. A Lian-Li just like this one: Lian Li Industrial Co., Ltd.

As for water-cooling, there are many members here that have designed and built custom systems that are very efficient. Let us know what your system will be and we can guide you to choose the right components.

John
Old December 18, 2007, 08:00 PM
Rookie
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Salut et bienvenue!

I believe that the water-cooling is optional...as for TT's quality, I have own 2 of their cases and built a few more for customers - and I'm not impressed. Give me a Lian-Li anytime instead of a TT. A Lian-Li just like this one: Lian Li Industrial Co., Ltd.

As for water-cooling, there are many members here that have designed and built custom systems that are very efficient. Let us know what your system will be and we can guide you to choose the right components.

John
Thanks,will do John,i'm finishing the list of components i want in my rig.
I will post the rig setup as soon as finished.Any recommendations afterwards will be strongly considered.

Thanks
A oui j'ai presque oublier,salut a tous

Eric
Old December 18, 2007, 09:08 PM

My "Optimal" setup would be as follows:

Thermaltake Sword M WITHOUT built-in WCing (saves you $100 to spend on a real WC setup)

Combo from NCIX:
Corsair Dominator XMP DDR3
Intel QX9650
Intel Maximus Extreme

8800GTS 512MB

Hitachi 1TB Hard Drive

Full stand-alone WCing setup:

D Tex Fuzion CPU block
Thermochill PA 120.2 rad
Quality pump
etc....
Old December 18, 2007, 09:27 PM
Rookie
F@H

Default My Specs

Here is the rig i want, or close to it.Final decision will be made considering all of your recommendations and i will also let you know about the progress of the build.

Asus Maximus Extreme/Q 6600/2 Gb Corsair Dominator pc3 14400 at 1800Mhz/HD 3870 in crossfire/SwordM from thermaltake/2x150Gb WD raptor 10,000rpm in raid 0/2x320Gb WD 7,200rpm/2xPlextor PX-800A/Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit

Water Cooling

2x120mm fans 1300rpm
RAD: (295x216x32mm)/P400(400L./Hr)/350cc res./Tygon R-3603 tubing/FluidXP for coolant/Fittings(i'm not sure about what type of fittings i would use,nickel plated,aluminium,polypropylene ???etc.)/D-tek fusion CPU block.

thx for the reply SKYMTL

I intend to use water cooling only for CPU and chipset on the board for now.Eventually i would want to build a new unit using the pa 120.3 and then hook up the rest of the rig(HDD cooler,GPU's etc)

Tell me what you think,or better still,show me exactly what you would get if you had 4 to 5,000$ to spend on a gaming rig.

Thanks!
Eric
Old December 18, 2007, 09:36 PM
Rookie
F@H

Quote:
My "Optimal" setup would be as follows:

Thermaltake Sword M WITHOUT built-in WCing (saves you $100 to spend on a real WC setup)

Combo from NCIX:
Corsair Dominator XMP DDR3
Intel QX9650
Intel Maximus Extreme

8800GTS 512MB

Hitachi 1TB Hard Drive

Full stand-alone WCing setup:

D Tex Fuzion CPU block
Thermochill PA 120.2 rad
Quality pump
etc....
I see that you put down Nvida's 8800 gts card! I was told by someone that the Maximus is Crossfire certified but that it doesn't support Nvidia SLI?

Can you enlightened me SKYMTL,i would choose Nvidia in SLI rather than ATI in Crossfire if i could on the Maximus Extreme board.If i can,than i will switch from ATI to Nvidia.I've always used ATI in the past and the warranty is really bad.I'ts time for a change.

I would go with 2 x EVGA 8800 GTS SSC NCIX.com - Buy EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTS Crysis Edition 670MHZ 512MB 1.94GHZ DDR3 PCI-E DVI-I HDTV Out Video Card - 512-P3-N841-A3 In Canada. and i would also use a different power supply,probably this one NCIX.com - Buy Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W ATX12V 20/24PIN Quad SLI Modular Power Supply Active PFC 8PIN PCI-E - W0133RU In Canada. If i know for a fact that i can use these components on this Maximus Extreme board NCIX.com - Buy ASUS Maximus Extreme LGA775 X38 ATX DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI 2GBLAN 1394A SATA RAID Motherboard - MAXIMUS EXTREME In Canada. combined with this RAM NCIX.com - Buy Corsair XMS3 Dominator TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFIN DDR3 2X1GB 2GB DDR3-1800 CL 7-7-7-20 XMP Memory Kit - TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFIN In Canada. i shall be able to play current and future games without too much lag

Thanks for all the responses guys it makes it that much easier to make a decision.

Eric

Last edited by SagManQc; December 19, 2007 at 12:32 AM.
Old December 19, 2007, 12:05 PM

I put down the 8800GTS 512MB because it is a well-priced single card solution which will carry you over very nicely until the next high-end ATI card is released.
Old December 19, 2007, 01:22 PM
Rookie
F@H

Quote:
I put down the 8800GTS 512MB because it is a well-priced single card solution which will carry you over very nicely until the next high-end ATI card is released.
Are you sure i can use the 8800 gts in SLI on the Maximus Extreme?

I was under the impression that the Maximus Extreme was NOT CERTIFIED for the 8800 gts in SLI mode.I was told by a friend that i had to go with ATI cards because the Maximus Extreme was only compatible with ATI.

Can you shed some light on that issue,after all graphics for a gaming freak like me means everything and i would rather buy EVGA's card with their superb warranty than be forced to buy ATI just because i want a specific board which supports ddr3 ram?

Thanks
Eric