Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 13, 2010, 09:51 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Gigabyte 890FXA-UD7 AM3 Motherboard Review Comment Thread

With AMD’s release of the Phenom II X6 processors, the popularity of their products has slowly been on the rise. Motherboard makers have been taking advantage of this newfound popularity by releasing a wide range of products which cater to the needs of everyone from enthusiasts to entry level users. Gigabyte has attacked the high end market with their Gigabyte 890FXA-UD7, a feature rich board that should cause many to sit up and take notice.

[ Read full article ]

Last edited by SKYMTL; October 13, 2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old October 13, 2010, 10:38 PM
Banned
F@H

first of all, i had to check the date not wanting to resurrect a few months old thread. secondly, nice job. and thirdly, what a beauty. and the clocks are interesting.

plus, giga 'pack it in' style, for the win!

edit : what is the difference between your 2.0 revision and the newer 2.1 one advertised on giga's site?

Last edited by _dangtx_; October 13, 2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old October 13, 2010, 11:03 PM
MVP

Just wanted to point this out:

A Closer Look at the 890FXA-UD7

"This model has been outfitted with both IDE and floppy ports, which should make legacy lovers happy but we're hoping that this is the latest generation of motherboard that features these long antiquated interfaces."

I think you meant to say last. Also, the comment thread link brings me back to the front page of the review, instead of here.

Really liked the review, one question though, why didn't the water block work very well?
Old October 14, 2010, 10:23 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegUsher View Post
Just wanted to point this out:

Really liked the review, one question though, why didn't the water block work very well?
Because of the way the thing is attached. It basically sits on a strip of metal that has only its edge attached to ANOTHER heatsink. By the time the heat gets to the WB, most of it is dissipated already. In order for a WB to perform up to its expectations, it needs DIRECT contact with the chip it is cooling.
Old October 14, 2010, 10:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Because of the way the thing is attached. It basically sits on a strip of metal that has only its edge attached to ANOTHER heatsink. By the time the heat gets to the WB, most of it is dissipated already. In order for a WB to perform up to its expectations, it needs DIRECT contact with the chip it is cooling.
That issue has been ongoing hasn't it (or was that with a different manufacturer)? You'd think they'd get the idea after a while.

Not a Gigabyte specific issue, but maybe their reps can shed some light on the issue..... is there any kind of information available WRT when AMD plans to release an AHCI driver which will pass along the trim command for SSDs?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 15, 2010, 12:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Although I do love GB boards I would have to admit this would be last on my list of purchases in all honesty.
They have not done what I would have expected for such a flagship product. Although feature rich, it is a big deal if I can't just plug and play into my latest and greatest case without worry.

Somethings aren't ment to be , and as cool as this board is, it would never make a home here...

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com