Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Gigabyte 890FXA-UD7 AM3 Motherboard Review Comment Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/37077-gigabyte-890fxa-ud7-am3-motherboard-review-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL October 13, 2010 08:51 PM

Gigabyte 890FXA-UD7 AM3 Motherboard Review Comment Thread

With AMD’s release of the Phenom II X6 processors, the popularity of their products has slowly been on the rise. Motherboard makers have been taking advantage of this newfound popularity by releasing a wide range of products which cater to the needs of everyone from enthusiasts to entry level users. Gigabyte has attacked the high end market with their Gigabyte 890FXA-UD7, a feature rich board that should cause many to sit up and take notice.

[ Read full article ]

_dangtx_ October 13, 2010 09:38 PM

first of all, i had to check the date not wanting to resurrect a few months old thread. secondly, nice job. and thirdly, what a beauty. and the clocks are interesting.

plus, giga 'pack it in' style, for the win!

edit : what is the difference between your 2.0 revision and the newer 2.1 one advertised on giga's site?

BootlegUsher October 13, 2010 10:03 PM

Just wanted to point this out:

A Closer Look at the 890FXA-UD7

"This model has been outfitted with both IDE and floppy ports, which should make legacy lovers happy but we're hoping that this is the latest generation of motherboard that features these long antiquated interfaces."

I think you meant to say last. Also, the comment thread link brings me back to the front page of the review, instead of here.

Really liked the review, one question though, why didn't the water block work very well?

SKYMTL October 14, 2010 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BootlegUsher (Post 438758)
Just wanted to point this out:

Really liked the review, one question though, why didn't the water block work very well?

Because of the way the thing is attached. It basically sits on a strip of metal that has only its edge attached to ANOTHER heatsink. By the time the heat gets to the WB, most of it is dissipated already. In order for a WB to perform up to its expectations, it needs DIRECT contact with the chip it is cooling.

sswilson October 14, 2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 438857)
Because of the way the thing is attached. It basically sits on a strip of metal that has only its edge attached to ANOTHER heatsink. By the time the heat gets to the WB, most of it is dissipated already. In order for a WB to perform up to its expectations, it needs DIRECT contact with the chip it is cooling.

That issue has been ongoing hasn't it (or was that with a different manufacturer)? You'd think they'd get the idea after a while.

Not a Gigabyte specific issue, but maybe their reps can shed some light on the issue..... is there any kind of information available WRT when AMD plans to release an AHCI driver which will pass along the trim command for SSDs?

Soultribunal October 15, 2010 11:54 AM

Although I do love GB boards I would have to admit this would be last on my list of purchases in all honesty.
They have not done what I would have expected for such a flagship product. Although feature rich, it is a big deal if I can't just plug and play into my latest and greatest case without worry.

Somethings aren't ment to be , and as cool as this board is, it would never make a home here...

ST