Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 23, 2010, 02:39 PM
Rookie

Default Why doesn't my AM2+/AM3 motherboard support this cpu?Success,it does!

Hi,need a little insight,
I have an MSI K9N6PGM2-V mobo,(which is currently running an unsupported Phenom II x2 545 callisto).I'm getting a quad( PH II X4 945 AM3 95w) from a friend who is upgrading to intel.Now I know my mobo only supports certain 95w cpu's max,but if it will support a Phenom II X3 heka 95w and a Phenom X4 agena 95w,why not a PhenomII x4 945 95 watts?? I'm willing to just pop it in a see what happens,but I want to make sure I'm not going to damage anything.Thanks.

Link to mobo:

MSI Global ? Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more

Last edited by fourthman; September 25, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old September 23, 2010, 03:29 PM
Banned
F@H

power filtering and general socket area looks pretty good for an uber value board, give it a shot.
Old September 23, 2010, 03:40 PM
Rookie

Thanks,if it doesn't work properly I can get another ddr2 value board that supports it,thinking of something along the same or similar chipset,so I don't have to reformat(as I just recently did,XP.).My main goal is not to reformat again,so a board that has a similar nforce chipset is important,but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.Suppose I could buy a new board and ddr3 ram,but I'd like to reuse what I've already got.Thanks.
Old September 23, 2010, 03:48 PM
Banned
F@H

NVIDIAŽ MCP61 (6150SE)

that guy is pretty old. you may or not reformat. w7 is supposed to be more frendly when it comes to those.

xp not. although i had some luck in the past

since youre getting the cpu for free, i guess investing in older tech is ok. although if you do end up getting ddr3(1600) youll be able to use it in your next upgrade a couple years from now(ddr5 is a long ways off desktop use, i think)
Old September 23, 2010, 05:27 PM
Rookie

Ok thanks for your input,I'll be picking up the cpu tomorrow.If it boots up and is recognized,etc...are there any warning signs that I should be looking for? or is there any potential for damage by trying this?Thanks.
Old September 23, 2010, 05:55 PM
Banned
F@H

maybe bork the bios? but if the board is rated for xx watts and you dont oc cpu?

before you plug the new one in, you may want to adjust vcore just in case.

like i said, for a value board it looks pretty good. components wise.
Old September 24, 2010, 07:18 AM
Rookie

Thanks for your input,I don't think I can adjust the vcore on this mobo,it's idiot proof,I guess,LOL.I think it auto adjusts,not an overclockers board,thats ok.I checked my board at Cpu-Upgrade site,it does show it as supporting this cpu,so maybe it will be fine,I'll let you know.Gonna try it out this weekend.Thanks.
Old September 25, 2010, 02:25 PM
Rookie

Well I just popped in the quad core and success!!!Was recognized by the bios,no adjustments necessary,using bios 9.5.The two extra cores make quite a difference even just browsing the web,etc...quite a surprise.Not bad for a older value board,must say I'm getting my money's worth out of it.Thanks for your input.
Old September 25, 2010, 02:30 PM
Banned
F@H

nice. as per another thread, direct some decent airflow over the cpu area to help cool down the power filtering units, and such.

good to see you got it working. now jump in the folding forums asap!! :p