Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 11, 2007, 06:48 AM
Rookie

Default DirectCanada & Q6600 processor

Not sure what can be done in this forum, but I want to get some other's thoughts on what's happened to me recently.

I wanted to buy a new Intel Q6600 CPU with the stepping G0. I did my research and found that there are 2 versions of this chip according to the Intel website:

SLACR - G0 Stepping - highly overclockable and the one I want
SL9UM - B3 Stepping - very low overclocking, NOT the one I want.

When I came across DirectCanada's website, the title of the product description and even my invoice states, "Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor LGA775 Kentsfield 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 8MB Retail Box - Slacr"

Based on the title, and the price, I was ready to hand over my money.

What I received in the mail was the B3 stepped SL9UM. I am being told that the company orders from the box number which is: BX80562Q6600
And DirectCanada just receives what Intel ships them.

Well, despite what DirectCanada told me, I called Intel (paying long distance charges), and discussed the issue with an Intel sales rep. He explained to me that the order code includes the box number, also includes the sSpec Number which would then be:
BX80562Q6600SLACR
or
BX80562Q6600SL9UM

The Intel rep asked me to look at the side of the box and look at what Intel printed on the sticker. Sure enough, he was right, my code was: BX80562Q6600SL9UM

So I asked in another forum if it's worth bothering about and everyone said YES! Return the chip as the difference is worth the effort.

Now the problem is, is that the phone system is jammed with people calling in (probably about this same issue). I feel there has been somewhat of a bait and switch going on. The Intel rep said that DirectCanada should not be doing this and to contact them. So I have messaged DirectCanada through their online messaging system and so far no response....

Anyone have any other suggestions or help? I feel that if your not willing to guarantee what stepping your selling then don't put the sSpec in the title!

PS: You know what, I think they realize it now, because now their Q6600 offering no longer displays SLACR in the title.
Old December 11, 2007, 07:47 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I think you should be happier with the B3 than the G0. Right now the latest batch of G0 CPUs are complete dogs when it comes to overclocking.
Old December 11, 2007, 07:47 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Contact them. Since your invoice does state SLACR, they have to ship that particular stepping. You may try the phone, but I would rather send online messages. They do eventually reply back.
Old December 11, 2007, 07:50 AM
Top Prospect

If the product received is not the product ordered you should return it.
Old December 11, 2007, 09:54 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Try it, overclock it. If it does not clock well exchange it for a G0.
Old December 11, 2007, 10:19 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I think you should be happier with the B3 than the G0. Right now the latest batch of G0 CPUs are complete dogs when it comes to overclocking.
where did you get this info from? Please provide a reference.
Thanks
Old December 11, 2007, 11:50 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default Getting through to a service rep. from DirectCanada...

There's only one way to do it, and this trick works everytime IF you are crazy enough to wait 20-30mins...

1. Dial in, punch the customer rep. extension
2. wait for 5-10mins as caller n.3 then n.2
3. Have the system hang up on you
4. Use your redial immediately
5. Start from n.1 again (takes 2-3 times)

Good luck

Old December 11, 2007, 12:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Did you open the retail box?
If so your probably outta luck without paying a restocking fee, dont know for sure but it has happened to me n ot on DC but think it was VIBE back in the day.

PPL if you order a CPU check the stepping before you open the retail box, much better chance of getting it exchanged if the box isn't opened, if you did open it understand that if the company takes it back they will have to sell it open box at a cut rate.
But if your Invoice statement says "slacr" then they did not ship you the product that you paid for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old December 11, 2007, 02:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I don't think DC orders directly from Intel but gets the processors in from their suppliers.
Old December 11, 2007, 04:58 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Did you open the retail box?
If so your probably outta luck without paying a restocking fee, dont know for sure but it has happened to me n ot on DC but think it was VIBE back in the day.

PPL if you order a CPU check the stepping before you open the retail box, much better chance of getting it exchanged if the box isn't opened, if you did open it understand that if the company takes it back they will have to sell it open box at a cut rate.
But if your Invoice statement says "slacr" then they did not ship you the product that you paid for.
No, I didn't open the box, I looked through the window at the top.

Ok I'm going to call back tonight.