Old September 18, 2010, 03:42 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Wonder how easy this would be to crack?
Fold for team #54196
Old September 18, 2010, 03:47 PM
Banned
F@H

was waiting for something like this. if its software blockage? them boys will find a way. if hw? thats impossible to not feasable.

nice. get a cheaper cpu, hack it,whohohoo!!(ahem fold it while at it)
Old September 18, 2010, 04:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you can "return" the upgrade, then it means that this must be reversible (unless you actually swap your CPU for a non-upgraded one). That equates to this system being cracked rather quickly if people care enough to do so. (aka it must not involve burning out fuses or other permanent hardware-related items)
FAQ: https://retailupgrades.intel.com/FAQ.aspx

The proposed price of $50 is ridiculous though... according to the graphs https://retailupgrades.intel.com/Pag...?Name=Benefits the CPU's clock speed does not change, so couldn't you just take your money elsewhere?
Assuming this Pentium 5691 is below $50, the price of this CPU + the "upgrade" could probably get you something faster.
Old September 18, 2010, 04:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
If you can "return" the upgrade, then it means that this must be reversible (unless you actually swap your CPU for a non-upgraded one). That equates to this system being cracked rather quickly if people care enough to do so. (aka it must not involve burning out fuses or other permanent hardware-related items)
FAQ: https://retailupgrades.intel.com/FAQ.aspx

The proposed price of $50 is ridiculous though... according to the graphs https://retailupgrades.intel.com/Pag...?Name=Benefits the CPU's clock speed does not change, so couldn't you just take your money elsewhere?
Assuming this Pentium 5691 is below $50, the price of this CPU + the "upgrade" could probably get you something faster.
I'm guessing this is for people who buy pre-build PC, not builder.
Old September 18, 2010, 04:29 PM
Banned
F@H

havent read in the link thingie, but since its software, it might be something that activates at boot?
Old September 18, 2010, 04:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

this will get cracked quick,then i might go the intel way to try it out
Old September 18, 2010, 05:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Possibly a pure marketing scheme?

Maybe every big-box PC (I can't imagine them selling these retail) will come with a "free upgrade"? Or maybe even worse.... maybe these will be directly tied to the bios of the individual motherboard (i.e. ser# check every boot) in order to prevent folks from buying cheap OEM builds in order to salvage the parts.....

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 18, 2010, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile CPUs and Motherboards

Personally, I think this sucks! You can own the physical part, but not all the software encrypted on it! Yeah, the auto analogy is pretty good. You can buy the car but have to pay extra for the key.*&$@#%.
Old September 18, 2010, 08:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfanatic View Post
Personally, I think this sucks! You can own the physical part, but not all the software encrypted on it! Yeah, the auto analogy is pretty good. You can buy the car but have to pay extra for the key.*&$@#%.

not really, you pay a certain amount of money for the "stock" CPU, unlocking is just extra, you shouldn't feel entitled to it. Want more performance, overclock or buy a better CPU.