Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 18, 2010, 08:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile CPUs and Motherboards

I would rather buy a better cpu! It might be time to switch to AMD. Hopefully they don't follow suit. To me this could catapult them to a much higher overall market percentage.
Old September 19, 2010, 10:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfanatic View Post
I would rather buy a better cpu! It might be time to switch to AMD. Hopefully they don't follow suit. To me this could catapult them to a much higher overall market percentage.
"...much higher overall market percentage"? It would be nice but IMHO the people to whom this matters makes up a much smaller demographic then you think unfortunately.
Old September 19, 2010, 11:00 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Funny, I don't see any issue with this. Intel AND AMD basically take the same chip and designate different speed bins in order to make new SKUs. They charge more for some and less for others. This is just a way of doing the same thing through software.
Old September 19, 2010, 11:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

this has to be software for sure. It would have to be done with every processor, wouldn't it? hence it cant be tied to any specific hardware..
Old September 19, 2010, 05:27 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

oh great I can see our phones running hot when that prepaid card thingy hits our country
Old September 19, 2010, 08:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile CPUs and Motherboards

Well, really, while I'm not overly happy about it, such is life. As pointed out by others, this has been happening in other ways to various products. It simply makes a good conversation piece. Perhaps to see how receptive people would be. It bothers me that I purchase a game, then get nailed for more add ons for a game if I want them. It seems the games are expensive enough to begin with. That's why I stopped buying new games and many other products upon release. Now to convince myself to do this with computer components,hehe.
Old September 20, 2010, 10:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Funny, I don't see any issue with this. Intel AND AMD basically take the same chip and designate different speed bins in order to make new SKUs. They charge more for some and less for others. This is just a way of doing the same thing through software.
I agree. Just like how AMD did the core locking for their X2 and X3 chips. They don't want to change architecture, so they lock things out for the lower market. It's a quick, cheap, effective way to sell lower binned chips. It just so happened that the ACC feature unlocked more cores on the board, which gave you free performance.

This idea seems like a money grab, but I think of it like this, "if you want to go faster, it's gonna cost you." I think someone should compare the price of the G6951 + $50 unlock vs. the same chip with the things already enabled...

EDIT: My only problem with this is from a sales point of view, such as scam tactics. Salesperson tells a customer that they can "unlock" more features with this, but really the computer had a CPU that already had all the features available, and can unlock simply in the BIOS.

Last edited by bojangles; September 20, 2010 at 10:28 AM.