Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 14, 2010, 10:52 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
can't wait until the discussion of quad core vs six core cpus come up. "you can do most things with a quad core.. but with six cores, you can do it faster".. I can see the conversation already.
Hope it's not soon, my pc is only 3 years old, hope the my AMD lasts some time (2 more years PLEASE!!), since every time I attempt overclocking horrible things happen.
As someone said said earlier, I built my pc triying to get the most from inexpensive hardware (with a gpu only since the 4850 came out), and i'm pretty happy, but I saw people say "dual core=bottleneck to death" and I worried if it was the time to jump to a quad core CPU, but i don't encode video or show off my benchmarks. Quad core can wait.
Old September 14, 2010, 12:12 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I went through this debate with myself when I bought my E8400 about a year ago now I think. I was leaning toward a faster dual (and knowing the rep for the overclocking abilities of the E8400 I was drawn in by her siren song). I mainly use my computer for the internet and videos/tv. I do some gaming (but most is on my 360). I often have firefox and chrome both open with atleast 6 or a dozen tabs each, msn open and music playing and my coputer is VERY responsive.

Granted these are low intensity apps, but I am just saying I have been happy with my dual core. Now for the honest part. I fried my 9800GTX+ and E6600 at the same time, so the only video card I have used with my E8400 is my silent old 7800GT. So everything I have said is really does not apply to gaming.
Old September 18, 2010, 08:43 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I went with a dual because at the time i realized that my old dual X2 4200+ was relatively quick for all the surfing/Word/Excel that i do and the only reason for the upgrade was to game. At the time, a comparable Phenom II X4 was almost 2X the price yet didn't provide any substantial increase in FPS so i went dual with the expectation that once the Phenom II architecture became obsolete, i could just grab an X4 or X6 then depending on if games could make use of multiple cores beyond 2.
Old September 19, 2010, 06:09 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
I personally do not recall a time when 4-5 year old hardware was so viable. I also don't recall a time when so many PC enthusiasts did so much for so few practical gains and novelty.
I couldn't agree more. I for one, like to try new stuff and built new rigs but it's more because it's a hobby than by necessity. Unless you are using specifics apps that require major computing power, pretty much any dual core is still viable today for most tasks even gaming given that you can satisfied yourself with less than maximum graphical quality.