Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 7, 2010, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
The annoying thing is that eSATA and SATA connectors are different. There's really no reason they should be. It just makes things a hell of a lot more frustrating.
I second this. I never understood why front panel (or rear) ESATA ports are 'peripheral' connectors, yet you plug them into a regular SATA port.

Why? Why make a unique connector and all, when a regular one would work identical. There isnt even a marketing reason for this to occur...
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old September 7, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
the one's I've seen shipped with motherboards have E-Sata on one end, and standard Sata on the other
I guess:
a) plug from internal SATA mobo connector to back panel eSATA
or
b) to accommodate people who adopted external SATA devices before the final eSATA connector was settled or something.
*shrug*

Sagath, normal internal connectors break or pop out easily. also no shielding. external stuff cannot be like that.
Old September 7, 2010, 06:42 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
Sagath, normal internal connectors break or pop out easily. also no shielding. external stuff cannot be like that.
So they should have designed the SATA cables differently, not the other way around. Anyway, shielding can be done on the cables. Connector shielding is largely unnecessary.
Old September 7, 2010, 09:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
So they should have designed the SATA cables differently, not the other way around.
And I totally agree, but unfortunately that changes nothing. :(

Tags
esata , plug and play , sata