Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 6, 2010, 09:09 PM
Rookie

Question Suggestion for High Processing Computer with Speed & Performance

Hello Experts,

I am in need of you experts suggestion and advice.

I am not good in purchasing a high performing computer for myself.
I need to work on some lab simulating software's on my desktop/laptop computer for my career learning's ( software's like GNS3, Virtual Machines, etc) which are highly demanding CPU processes utilization & too intensive for CPU and also demands lot of RAM memory & high bus speed.
I tried reading about Intel products(i5 and i7)(at ark.intel.com) but i am unable to decide which to choose and what corresponding motherboard to choose as i am not good in matching which processor suits which kinda motherboard and vice verse.

[ If you are aware of using GNS3 application, you might notice how CPU demanding this software is, but i need to work with this software for my career enhancement ]

So please help me to find a processor and motherboard for below main requirements.
1. Highly demanding CPU processes
2. Good Memory speed(i prefer DDR3, but dunno which brand)
3. High Bus Speed between CPU/memory/data
4. I am not a gaming freak
5. And also high quality graphics capable to watch HD / Blue Ray movies.
6. My budget for processor and motherboard is approx around US $300.

Please help me.

Many Thanks.

Regards,
Manjunath
Old September 6, 2010, 09:14 PM
Banned
F@H

howdy man. welcome to the forums.

cpu+motherboard for 300, intel will be a bit hard but can be had. i5 760+p55 ud2 gigabyte plus tax plus shipping. highly sugest a quad core amd combo, such as the 630+a nice 785 gigabyte mobo, around 200 for both.

or i3 530 and an ud4p from gigabyte, 2 core and 2 threads.
Old September 6, 2010, 11:53 PM
Rookie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
howdy man. welcome to the forums.

cpu+motherboard for 300, intel will be a bit hard but can be had. i5 760+p55 ud2 gigabyte plus tax plus shipping. highly sugest a quad core amd combo, such as the 630+a nice 785 gigabyte mobo, around 200 for both.

or i3 530 and an ud4p from gigabyte, 2 core and 2 threads.

Hi _Dantx_ ......
I really appreciate your timely advice.
I would go for i5 760 Desktop processor. But i prefer Intel mother board, can you please suggest corresponding stable motherboard for this i5 760.

Just to reconfirm with you again:
May be my below questions are silling but please tell me does i5 750 is capable of below performances:
1. Can i5 750 handle Highly demanding CPU processes ?
2. High Bus Speed between CPU/memory/data ( i guess its 2GB/s , am i right? is this sufficient? please advice which speed is suitable)
3. How many virtual operating systems i can install which is capable to handle with this i5 750.

I searched that i5 750 doesnt have inbuilt graphics(to watch movie), so should i need to add HD graphics cards right?

Thanks, and awaiting for your next advice which really helps me very much.
Old September 7, 2010, 12:16 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi1234567 View Post
Hi _Dantx_ ......
I really appreciate your timely advice.
I would go for i5 760 Desktop processor. But i prefer Intel mother board, can you please suggest corresponding stable motherboard for this i5 760.

Just to reconfirm with you again:
May be my below questions are silling but please tell me does i5 750 is capable of below performances:
1. Can i5 750 handle Highly demanding CPU processes ?
2. High Bus Speed between CPU/memory/data ( i guess its 2GB/s , am i right? is this sufficient? please advice which speed is suitable)
3. How many virtual operating systems i can install which is capable to handle with this i5 750.

I searched that i5 750 doesnt have inbuilt graphics(to watch movie), so should i need to add HD graphics cards right?

Thanks, and awaiting for your next advice which really helps me very much.
sorry for typo of 750, instead of 760.
Old September 7, 2010, 12:19 AM
Banned
F@H

no worries man. were here to give you guys a hand, well ask for two in return :)

but seriously..

is there a benchmark machine that you can compare against? im not entirely familiar with your software choices

asus,gigabyte,msi make nice motherboards, but for your budget youll have to go for the cheapest. doesn't mean bad, but not the best either. some of them cost 300-500 dollars or more.

1-depends on the load. its a nice cpu
2-youll be fine
3-ill let the experts speak for this, some of them lurk in the folding pond

yes

but ,again, intel quad + mobo that fits into a 300 dollar budget is kind of tight. very tight.
Old September 7, 2010, 12:33 AM
Rookie

Question

Quote:
no worries man. were here to give you guys a hand, well ask for two in return :)

but seriously..

is there a benchmark machine that you can compare against? im not entirely familiar with your software choices

asus,gigabyte,msi make nice motherboards, but for your budget youll have to go for the cheapest. doesn't mean bad, but not the best either. some of them cost 300-500 dollars or more.

1-depends on the load. its a nice cpu
2-youll be fine
3-ill let the experts speak for this, some of them lurk in the folding pond

yes

but ,again, intel quad + mobo that fits into a 300 dollar budget is kind of tight. very tight.

Thanks dangtx.........
i am happy with your advice :-)
However i came up with an idea to explain my cpu load problem, here is 2 example and hope you can visualize it.
ex 1. My old antique processor is Intel 845gvsr, so with the software gns3 i can use one virtual router to practice and it just uses 100% cpu utilisation. I want to use minimum 4.
There is a concept in the software called IDLE PC, which reduces the utilization from 100% to 35%, so by this concept within the software i can use 4-5 virtual routers for my study purpose.

ex 2. Another computer inter processor E7400 core 2 duo uses 2 routers and touches 100% before applying idle pc values, after applying idle pc values i can use around 6-8 virtual routers,

Here i want to use at-least minimum of 12-14 virtual routers and hence my processor should be capable of that.

Please ask if this is not capable of explaining my problem.
Old September 7, 2010, 09:26 AM
Banned
F@H

ok, im thinking you need an amd hexa core or better. or youll need a hyperthreating cpu for intel. amd you can do 6 core cpu+mobo for 300, intel you cant. lowest youll go is a 920+mobo which is around..400?
Old September 7, 2010, 12:53 PM
Rookie

Quote:
ok, im thinking you need an amd hexa core or better. or youll need a hyperthreating cpu for intel. amd you can do 6 core cpu+mobo for 300, intel you cant. lowest youll go is a 920+mobo which is around..400?

Hi _dangtx_,
I just browsed in internet for i5 760 and Amd Phenom 1055t.
i5 760 is doing better performance against Amd 1055t.
As both are almost at the same price, i choose i5 760 as per your earlier advice.
But i5 750 doesn't have hyper-threading technology :-( , it has just turbo boost and virtualiazation. Does virtualization technology helps for virtual machines applications?
And this i5 760 doesnt have graphis/HD graphics, so will i get to see HD quality movies if i include a HD graphics card? Please advise.

Mainly, please now help me to find a motherboard.
I feel to buy Intel motherboard as i decide to get i5 760. I am now determined to spend additional $50 into the budgeted $300.

Please help.