Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 30, 2010, 07:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Something like a Zalman Flex with a Gelid on it will do wonders for your temps.
And idle isn't what to worry about, its load. And if the Cheap TX does better at load then its not so bad.

I'd still go a little above entry level, but thats me.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 1, 2010, 12:52 AM
Rookie

Oh thanks for the input guys, but what I think is that the thermal paste that I applied did not fully set in yet. What do you says about that though? Does thermal paste take weeks and hours for it to fully set in?
Old October 1, 2010, 06:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwicc View Post
Oh thanks for the input guys, but what I think is that the thermal paste that I applied did not fully set in yet. What do you says about that though? Does thermal paste take weeks and hours for it to fully set in?
Depends on what you used. Any "current" paste typically has no cure time. Older pastes like Arctic Silver 5 do though. I think its 200 hours? However, it only drops 1-2C typically, so nothing significant.
Old October 2, 2010, 08:25 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Depends on what you used. Any "current" paste typically has no cure time. Older pastes like Arctic Silver 5 do though. I think its 200 hours? However, it only drops 1-2C typically, so nothing significant.
Ah okay then. I seriously thought thermal had something to do with it. Well... my cpu is now idling at 42c and with a load of about 55c/56c "not overclocked". I think thats pretty average?? I have no idea why idle and loads were much lower when the stock cpu fan was on.. maybe it was just a motherboard calculation gone wrong, but after reading comments and people having v8 cpu coolermasters and all that, it seems to make sense now i guess.
Old October 2, 2010, 09:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah those temperatures seem about right. I also think AMD sensors aren't as accurate as Intel ones, but I could be mistaken. Either way, unless you've tinkered with BIOS settings, the CPU knows better than to overheat and the PC will shut itself down, or throttle back the CPU until the temperature drops.

So no need to worry. You only need to worry when your overclocking and pumping more voltage into the chip.
Old October 2, 2010, 04:26 PM
Rookie

955 stock clock with a h70 cooler, I didn't bench it but core temps says 27 idle and after 2 hours of bc2, 46 was the high.
Old October 2, 2010, 06:27 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbmb View Post
955 stock clock with a h70 cooler, I didn't bench it but core temps says 27 idle and after 2 hours of bc2, 46 was the high.
Nice low readings. How does the h70 work btw? Is there a internal pump or something? I was even thinking about buying that.
Old October 2, 2010, 07:25 PM
Rookie

Yes it has a pump inside, very quiet and was fairly easy to install too. Very happy with it.

I get almost 10 degrees higher at idle when using the speedfan software, I read somewhere that
core temp is better for amd cpu's.