Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 13, 2010, 01:16 PM
Rookie

Default ud7 question

dont know if you saw my rough draft build in the other section so if not im stuck between ud5 and ud7

the ud7 looks so nice dual 12 power design to give each set a break and all kinds of nice features.

my main question is it comes with a water block on the chipset and if your not going to water cool it comes with that big ass silent pipe thingy well are those your only options??

im not going to water cool does that mean i absolutely have to use that silent pipe setup or can it work without it.

cooler master haf x case by the way so plenty of air flow.
Old July 13, 2010, 01:57 PM

My System Specs

You should be able to get away w/o using either. Although there really is no reason not to use the silent pipe. You can't fit any cards in the top two PCIe slots anyways.
Old July 13, 2010, 02:13 PM
Banned
F@H

if cash is no problemo, go with the top dog. will you use its full capabilities? perhaps not :) i think the ud3 was suggested before
Old July 13, 2010, 02:53 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know much about WC, but the built in block is kinda crappy (experience from a old generation ex58-extreme), looks like a useless chunk of hollow metal that will just add resistance. The only reason I would see for it would be to look better... built in barbs, no fins, crappy build quality, etc...
Old July 13, 2010, 04:09 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
if cash is no problemo, go with the top dog. will you use its full capabilities? perhaps not :) i think the ud3 was suggested before

well i plan to overclock or at least give my buddy 25 bucks to git it as close to or above 4.0gh on a 24/7 air rig.

i dont know if the 2 sets of 12 power thingies make it easyer or better to overclock on considering they take turnes instead of using all 24 at the same time. its more of a lasting longer thing i guess. but if that and the silent pipe are the only difference i might just stick to the ud5
Old July 13, 2010, 04:19 PM
Banned
F@H

the cleaner the juice the better, but i believe that the board is a tad overkill for the needs mentioned above :)
Old July 13, 2010, 04:20 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue woopa View Post
i dont know if the 2 sets of 12 power thingies make it easyer or better to overclock on considering they take turnes instead of using all 24 at the same time. its more of a lasting longer thing i guess. but if that and the silent pipe are the only difference i might just stick to the ud5
The 24-phase thing is just a bunch of marketing nonsense really. You won't see a practical difference between a motherboard that has 8-phase regulation and one that has 24-phase regulation.
Old July 13, 2010, 04:46 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

more black square thingies on my mobo look better.
Old July 14, 2010, 07:24 AM
Rookie

well if the ud7 is a ud5 with marketing sceme addons then the ud5 is a better deal.

if i ever go water in the future does anyone make a chipset water block for the ud5 or if i went ud7 for that is there block even good?