Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 26, 2007, 06:46 PM
Top Prospect

Default new build, what cpu to go with?

Hey guys i am working a new build (first new PC in 7 years LOL) and i had a few questions

This is what i am planning on getting

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/226/pctm4.jpg (a bit cheaper since i have switched over to directcanada but the parts are the same.)

I am wondering if i should get the E6850 or wait for the new E8400? Is it worth waiting till Jan for these new cpus? and if i do decide to go with it will it be compatable with my mobo?

thx for your help ^_^
Old November 26, 2007, 07:02 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

If you can wait, do so. The Q9450 will be my choice. If you wish to go for a Dual core, then the E8400 is a very good choice. All you're missing is an after-market CPU cooler.
Old November 26, 2007, 07:30 PM
Top Prospect

idk yet but i think i can wait, im kinda on a budget so the wait might help me make some more money. also wats a good after market cooler? can u please link me to one, idk which one are good.
Old November 26, 2007, 07:45 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You can't go wrong with the Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro7. NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro LGA775 2500RPM 45CFM - FREEZER-7-PRO In Canada.
Old November 27, 2007, 04:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisx View Post
idk yet but i think i can wait, im kinda on a budget so the wait might help me make some more money. also wats a good after market cooler? can u please link me to one, idk which one are good.
If you a) want a great air-cooled overclock b) want your processor to run as cool as possible on air....the TR U120e is the best you can get. Yeah... it's expensive and big.. and you have to supply your own fan.. but this baby can outperform many cheaper watercooling kits. Just make sure that your case is wide enough to accept it...as it's tall. GL
Old November 27, 2007, 12:46 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
If you a) want a great air-cooled overclock b) want your processor to run as cool as possible on air....the TR U120e is the best you can get. Yeah... it's expensive and big.. and you have to supply your own fan.. but this baby can outperform many cheaper watercooling kits. Just make sure that your case is wide enough to accept it...as it's tall. GL
Definitly true BUT if your case can't take that we beastie your next best is a the Thermalright Ultima 90 w/ a 120mm Scythe F its like the 'lil brother that is ALMOST as good as its big bro.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 28, 2007, 03:48 PM
MVP
F@H

Alternatively, wait till December 2 for the e2200 if you really want to go budget and aren't desperate for the extra cache. At 2.2ghz, 11x multiplier and $84USD you'll save a good $140 off your current processor which you could put into other components...like a TRU12e to keep it cool when you overclock it, haha!

Or if you really want it, buy the computer from tddirect.ca - you'll save $50 off the processor and $22 off the gpu alone...I ordered my system from there and had no problemos. Also I price-matched with NCIX with that site for other components and had no problems either.

C2Q Blue
Gigabyte EP45-UD3p | Q8400 @ 2.66ghz | Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w. Scythe | Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 5-5-5-15-2T @ 400mhz |
BFG GTX 295 | 1.32TB WD HDDs | Corsair HX 620 W | Antec 900 | Acer 20" LCD
Old November 30, 2007, 05:50 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Waiting is always better; you are sure to get more for less. I think that mainboard will support the new chips but I am not sure. That stuff is such voodoo.

What do you want to do with this PC? This is a middle of the road rig and will age quickly. You are putting a nVidia video card in a crossfire mainboard so you have no upgrade potential there. Do you want to game? If so I would wait and try to save some more money. Or will you be sitting in front of this mostly for work or school? If you are on a budget I would consider scrimping on the video and CPU and look into nice large monitor. Creature comforts are very important.

And will it be 7 more years until you buy a new one?
Old November 30, 2007, 07:30 AM
Allstar
F@H

No way that rig would last 7 years. You would be pretty hard pressed to make a rig at all that would like 7 years in todays market. And yeah, I would wait, save up a bit more money and get the E8400, but like Jack said, what do you want to do with your rig? If you intend to go heavily into gaming, I would say wait for the CPU and probably pay an extra $20-40 and go up to a higher end PSU, as 520w...well, doesn't leave you much room if you want to really upgrade down the road. On the other hand, if it's not for heavy gaming, you won't need the extra speed or the GPU power.

And yeah, the Thermalright Ultima 90 w/ a 120mm Scythe is probably your best bet for that case, as I really don't think it will end up holding the monster in there...