Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 25, 2007, 09:09 PM
MVP
F@H

Thumbs down EVGA 680i.. no 45nm Yorkfields... JUST WOLFSDALE>?

can you smell it?
.................................................. .............................................

EVGA 680i users,

The EVGA 680i SLI motherboard will support 45nm Wolfsdale (dual core) CPU's with an upcoming BIOS update. 45nm Yorkfield (quad core) CPU's will be supported on upcoming nForce 700-series SLI motherboards.

Thanks,

EVGATech_EvP

EVGA

Old November 25, 2007, 09:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default this was on the cards

After Babs post last week saying the QX9series were not going to work on the 680i because of a disagreement I wondered if it would spill over into the other 9 series quads.

It would be odd for EVGA 680i to be the only 680i targeted. They may just be the first to warn the consumer and ASUS etc will follow shortly.

Way to render a solid chipset obsolete Intel--I guess they dont give a crap now that they have pretty much crushed AMD.

Hopefully newer phenom binnings will give them a fight.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.

Last edited by magictorch; November 25, 2007 at 09:51 PM. Reason: extra
Old November 25, 2007, 10:06 PM
MVP
F@H

I dont the asus will be affected.. due to it utilizing the x38 chipset... which is owned by INTEL./...

Old November 25, 2007, 10:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any yorkfield is going torun on any 680i (apparently they sort of run on the DFI)

I'm sure they'll run on the 780i, but I'm not going to rush out and buy one - since it's pretty much the same board as the 680i , the last minute fixes they've made to it will probably only allow for limited fsb on the new chips- that said, it's starnge that they will work on the 780i, but can't be made to work on the 680i

Last edited by Babrbarossa; November 25, 2007 at 10:35 PM.
Old November 26, 2007, 01:44 AM
MVP
F@H

the 780 is the same thng as the 680 with a few changes to board.. the pcie bus and something else.. the 680 according to some websites can be made to run a york.. with a new bios... but intel is pissed at any company that does not use intel chipsets and will strangle hold them any way that is possible..

Old November 26, 2007, 11:30 PM
Allstar

Official response from XFX: Bjorn3d.com Forums brought to you by XFX - View Single Post - Yorkfield BIOS update for 680i SLI boards
Old November 28, 2007, 11:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

I'm not sure of any of you have been keeping tabs on the 680i chipset , but I have news for you.

I run an Asus Striker.Over the last month I have had serious issues;I've gone thru 4 sets of ram.I've had to take the mobo in to the place I bought it twice ( I havnt used a tech in 8 years)......

I'm not the only one , and it's not just asus boards.it's inherent to the 680i chipset.

There are hundreds of people with the same issues.Some people have gone thru SEVERAL 680i's.

My local retailer told me the striker rma rate was 6% inside 10 months.a quick google of 'dead 680i' will bring up 125,000 hits.

----------------------

So as to the whole 680i wont support yorkfields ?

Who cares.It's a pos chipset .Noone should buy it.I'm replacing my motherboard ASAP , then I'm smashing this striker into very small pieces and mailing to asus with the instructions that they dump in the box and mail it to Nvidia.

Old November 28, 2007, 01:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Hahahahahahaha! That was like the best post ever! LOL

You've just not been lucky. 680i is a great chip set and tbh...I've never had issues! But ehm....what are you going to replace it with?
Old November 28, 2007, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainEater View Post
I'm not sure of any of you have been keeping tabs on the 680i chipset , but I have news for you.

I run an Asus Striker.Over the last month I have had serious issues;I've gone thru 4 sets of ram.I've had to take the mobo in to the place I bought it twice ( I havnt used a tech in 8 years)......

I'm not the only one , and it's not just asus boards.it's inherent to the 680i chipset.

There are hundreds of people with the same issues.Some people have gone thru SEVERAL 680i's.

My local retailer told me the striker rma rate was 6% inside 10 months.a quick google of 'dead 680i' will bring up 125,000 hits.

----------------------

So as to the whole 680i wont support yorkfields ?

Who cares.It's a pos chipset .Noone should buy it.I'm replacing my motherboard ASAP , then I'm smashing this striker into very small pieces and mailing to asus with the instructions that they dump in the box and mail it to Nvidia.

My 680i runs awesome aside from a bit of vdroop
Old November 28, 2007, 05:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Best post ever ? I'm not sure bout that but thanx anywayz , ya made me smile.

--------------

Lots of people have 680i's that run perfectly.
Mine did for 10 months then it failed.

From what I've seen around the intarweb , it's a dice roll.

My Striker is currently working , but for how long? it's a ticking timebomb.

My only advice to those of us that currently own 680i's would be ;

-latest bios is a must.
-Northbridge and southbride stock coolers are ass.Replace or fix ; this chipset runs hot.
-don't let bios 'auto control' ram voltages.

-----------

I'm not sure what I'll replace it with.I just hope it keeps working till I can afford to replace it.