Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 1, 2010, 04:15 AM
Allstar

Exclamation Change motherboard without re-installing..possible?

Default vcore, vtt, ht, NB, SB and the NB runs very hot that is probably causing all the other issues related to this board. I thought one of the hard-drivers failed in Raid-5 and put in another one and rebuilt the array, only to discover the hard-drive was not defective when I tested it with WD Data Lifeguard. Now windows 7 won't even start-up properly even after attempting numerous repairs, system restore options and I also think that problem is related to the bloated AI suite that I installed. Even after finally removing it, the system still has issues.

Basically the computer restarts when it's just about to go into Windows.

I have no interest in overclocking this board, just want a stable and reliable board.

I also tried setting up the voltages manual:
vCore set at 1.299 ( tried 1.3)
NB 1.32
SB AUTO
HT AUTO

Asus P5N-D (Nvidia nFORCE 750i)
Q8400 cpu
1301 bios (latest bios)
Sapphire HD 5550 2GB
OCZ2N800SR4GK PC2 6400 default unlinked 800/1333 2.1v 5,4,4,15
Enermax ETK450AWT 450Watt power-supply

PASS - Memory test
PASS - Windows Diagnostics
PASS - DATA Lifeguard.

I've googled this board and there seems to be allot of people that have issues with this board and it seems to be directly related to nForce 750i.

The real question I have is if it's possible to take my 3 hard drives ( Raid 5 ) and put them on a more reliable board ( such as an Intel based chipset system ) without a problem other than having to install new drivers. The reason I ask is because I cannot run the system long enough to back up all my contacts in Outlook and other data.

Or for that matter, a reliable nForce 750i that's proven it's longevity? Suggestions?

CHEERS
Old July 1, 2010, 04:37 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Yeah, this is exactly the sort of problems I recently bowed under the pressure of.
I'm sure you will be able to boot your OS on the new motherboard. (You might need to repair the master boot record with the windows 7 repair tools first).
If it has driver issues you should still be able to boot safe mode and do your backups.
(You should really switch to Thunderbird and sync everything with Google anyway: then you don't need to worry about this crap, but it's obviously too late for that now.)

What new motherboard are you getting? I just ordered my new P5Q Deluxe. (exciting!)

Okay, I may have been a touch... wrong there:
Recover RAID5 srrsy on new motherboard? - NVIDIA Forums
Main System (now): Q9450 @ 2.667GHz | Asus P5Q Deluxe | 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 | 2 x Samsung SpinPoint 500GB 7200RPM | Everest 800w | EVGA 9800GTX 512MB GDDR3 in SLi | Samsung 22" LCD Syncmaster 226CW, 1680x1050, 2ms, 3000:1 | G15 | G7 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (goal)
Old July 1, 2010, 05:33 AM
Banned

IF it is the EXACT same chipset then you will be fine.

Otherwise yes you will HAVE to reinstall or you will have problems.
Old July 1, 2010, 05:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

never done it with a raid setup. but i have done it many times as long as your using windows 7 it should boot up with legacy drivers then you just install the right drivers. I think squeetard did it with his raid setup not sure so don't quote me on it. but it can be done i have done it but only on single ssd/hdd.
Old July 1, 2010, 08:16 AM
Allstar

You guys nailed it. I need a board with the same chipset so I'll go hunting for one now. Here's hoping.

CHEERS