Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29, 2010, 01:09 PM
Rookie

Default GA-890FXA-UD5 Questions?

Hello,

I currently have F1 version of the BIOS and was hoping to update it to F3 version, but before I do this I want to know what are the differences between the 2 versions? What are the pros/cons of upgrading to this version?

Since I have never done this before, How can I update the BIOS without a Floppy Drive? I can't seem to do it in windows, because the installer doesn't seem to work with Windows7 64bit Version.

This isn't really a motherboard question, but what is the difference between AHCI and IDE? I have read in other forums that there really isn't a difference between the two. Can anyone explain why?

Anyways, thanks for all the help in advanced!

Noobie Builder ,
Charmster
CM Hyper 212+
Corsair TX750W PSU
Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL7-2GBRM - 4GB
EVGA GeForce GTX 650Ti Boost
Old June 29, 2010, 02:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmster View Post
Hello,

I currently have F1 version of the BIOS and was hoping to update it to F3 version, but before I do this I want to know what are the differences between the 2 versions? What are the pros/cons of upgrading to this version?

Since I have never done this before, How can I update the BIOS without a Floppy Drive? I can't seem to do it in windows, because the installer doesn't seem to work with Windows7 64bit Version.

This isn't really a motherboard question, but what is the difference between AHCI and IDE? I have read in other forums that there really isn't a difference between the two. Can anyone explain why?

Anyways, thanks for all the help in advanced!

Noobie Builder ,
Charmster
I'll answer the questions I can in my reply.
For the BIOS usually (though not all the time) updates are for CPU support (I.e. - New X6 Processors, new X4 processors etc etc) and that is when one would want to update their BIOS. Although there are times when it is for other purposes as well, and usually it has everything to do with the connectivity on the board (SATA, CPU etc etc).
There usually is no harm in having an up to date BIOS. For Gigabyte if you don't have a floppy and you cannot use the @BIOS flash tool in windows, then what you do is transfer all the BIOS files (after unpacking it) onto a USB flash drive. You can either use one of the F* keys to do a Q-Flash or enter the Bios and Select Q-Flash.
This will allow you to flash via a USB Drive.

Anywho, that should explain what you need to know for the BIOS.

As for the IDE/ACHI I'll let the storage Guru's help you with that.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 29, 2010, 03:04 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

If you don't have a reason (i.e. a specific issue you are trying to resolve) for updating the bios then don't bother.
Old June 29, 2010, 04:07 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I've used Q-Flash quite a few times before and it works great.
Old June 29, 2010, 04:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

All of GB's utilities work perfect to be honest.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 29, 2010, 07:29 PM
Banned
F@H

as long as you get the correct version for your mobo, that is :)

easy tune, quite smple and effective. same with the energy saver.

@bios ? couldnt be more simple.
Old July 1, 2010, 12:16 AM
Rookie

Thanks for all the help, but yet I have another question.

This board says it doesn't support 1600 RAM. But i have set my RAM to that speed, does the mobo automatically set it back to its nearest supported speed? (1333)
CM Hyper 212+
Corsair TX750W PSU
Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL7-2GBRM - 4GB
EVGA GeForce GTX 650Ti Boost