Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 19, 2010, 10:56 AM
Banned

Default Help me choose a budget mobo?

I'm looking at motherboards for my budget build. I really want to cheap out but I'm finding that I'm only saving about $10 to $20 and I'm getting something older and/or missing features.

I'm looking at these:

Newegg.ca - MSI 870-G45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

Newegg.ca - MSI 760GM-E51 AM3 AMD 760G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Newegg.ca - ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3
NCIX.com - Buy Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 AMD770 ATX AM3 DDR3 1PCI-E 4PCI RAID HD Sound GBLAN SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard - GA-770TA-UD3 In Canada.

Are those overkill? The Asrock board looks like the best for price/performance/features. I'll need a cpu, too, but I might just get an Athlon X2 235e/245 or whatever is around $65 or so. I can always upgrade to a much faster cpu later.

I decided I want to go with DDR3. I thought it's a bit more futureproof. DDR3 looks only a bit more than comparable DDR2 so...

I will need RAM, though, with this route. I thought either go with a cheap 2GB DDR3 stick or a 4GB pair for about $100.

I'm trying to juggle this into a $200 to $250 amount, though and lower the better. I thought I can go with a decent mobo that takes DDR3 RAM and then get basic RAM and cpu that can be easily upgraded later. It's more likely to upgrade those components than switch motherboards, right?

But, which mobo? I used to be really into brands but now with upgrading being really common and new techs coming out all the time, I just want a budget board that is high quality. I ask questions like, can one overclock? Can the board take more than a 95w cpu (just in case)? Maybe even more important, does the brand company have a good BIOS and web page? Will it be a pain to download drivers or visit the page for whatever reason?

So, I'm comparing Gigabyte, Asus, Asrock and MSI.

I doubt I'd SLI or use Crossfire so those aren't really crucial. It just increases my costs so I'd like to get a cheaper board and if I 5have to, I can switch it later on.

Please recommend a mobo? Are my choices any good? Any more to add?

I would like the prices to go something like this:
mobo - $65 (max. $80)
DDR3 2GB - $70 (max. $100)
CPU - Athlon X2 245 - $65

P.S. what's fastest?: X2 235e or X2 245 or X2 250???
Old June 19, 2010, 11:40 AM
Banned
F@H

nothing is futureproof, except youll yank the ddr3 from this one and put it in another one 2 years from now? yes

cpu wise either 240 or 250.

70 for 2 gigs, you can do better lol

edit : whatever you do, get the giga
Old June 19, 2010, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
nothing is futureproof, except youll yank the ddr3 from this one and put it in another one 2 years from now? yes

cpu wise either 240 or 250.

70 for 2 gigs, you can do better lol

edit : whatever you do, get the giga
Well, won't DDR2 become more scarce at some point sooner rather than later? Same situation that happened to DDR RAM and then it's super expensive and at an absurd price?

I have another question, though. Is there any differences when using an Intel board compared to an AMD when using a SSD? Any significant differences? Or?

Another reason to go 'cheap' is exactly what you're saying: you'll just upgrade later or 'switch' to something else so it'll either become... A) a secondary machine or B) sold.
Old June 19, 2010, 12:54 PM
Banned
F@H

yes.

it depends on the controller. crap gives you scrap performance, be it on an intel board or amd one.

im always for best bang for back, big fault here :p
Old June 19, 2010, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
yes.

it depends on the controller. crap gives you scrap performance, be it on an intel board or amd one.

im always for best bang for back, big fault here :p
Which is the least problematic controller(s)?

I prefer to go with AMD mostly for price.... mobo, cpu...even video card (ATI) is cheapest and best for price/performance.

I thought to go with low price stuff since there's always the option to upgrade and maybe AM3 will have a longer shelf life than Intel's i3 or i5? At least, that is what I've just read.

So, a 760G, 785G or 770 AM3 mobo is a good choice?

I guess most of these have SB710 chipset and that's okay? I thought AMD's AHCI / SATA controllers are usually the same?
Old June 19, 2010, 01:31 PM
Banned
F@H

for precise answers to storage stuff, theres one man in here you need to talk to : akg. i wont dwell into his territory lol.

im an amd man myself, given the intel is not absolutely needed(folding,hyperthreading..)

785g. very good. get a dual pci-e giga board. use ddr2 if you have left. hell youll drop in a 1055t later for real cheap IF needed.

get intel now, get screwed for cpu upgrade later lol

altough best bang for buck is still an e3300 and g31/g41 gga board. but i like the 240/250+785 xfire giga solution. a bit more expensive, a bit better too :)
Old June 19, 2010, 02:16 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Sadly there is a difference between AMD and Intel when it comes to storage and even though AMD's latest and greatest is newer then ICH10 and supports Sata 6gb/s...in sata 2.0 mode (which 99.9% of SSDs ARE right now) its going to be slower on AMD then Intel. Your hard disk drives are going to take a hit in performance and so too are your SSDs. Worse still is the fact that AMD's drivers dont seem to pass on the TRIM command yet. AMD are being tight lipped about whether or not its drivers do in fact pass on TRIM...but I have seen very creditable results that lead me to believe it doesn't yet.

This means your SSD is going to have to rely on its built in self-maintenance routines (colloquially referred to as "Idle Time Garbage Collection"...even though that is a samsung term) IF you actually plan on using the included AMD drivers! If you plan on running SSDs on AMD, I would for the time being recommend avoiding both Intel and SandForce based drives. Stick to Toshiba (Kingston SSDNow V+) and Indilinx (OCZ Vertex 1, Falcon 1, Torqx, Corsair X).

All in all, when you add in lowered performance with no TRIM unless you give up on the MFG'ers drivers...I think its fair to say that AMD is a dog's breakfast right now when it comes to storage. With all that being said if this is your first SSD...it wont matter as the dif is not THAT big and modern SSD is so fast (compared to hard drives) it is scary. So I wouldn't automatically say "avoid AMD" or anything foolish like that. :)

Whats your budget for a SSD? I might be able to help narrow down your choices or at least point you in the right direction.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 19, 2010, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Whats your budget for a SSD? I might be able to help narrow down your choices or at least point you in the right direction.
Holy crap, that info is great! I had an impression there might be a difference to speak of but what I found certainly didn't go into such detail! Thanks!

I really haven't decided and I'm just asking a lot of questions and looking at all possibilities and it's probably going to delay my decision doing that! :)

I'm replacing a spare computer for someone and they stole the machine in my .sig! So, I can buy myself a computer or buy them one and probably that's the route I'll take. I thought I would buy a budget system that I could upgrade later and that may include a SSD... Since AMD is usually the budget line to take, I was wondering about differences in performance if you buy a SSD later.

That hit might not be much for a first time SSD buyer but it's still something to think about! If prices don't drop much relatively speaking after some time, I think those issues could swing one towards an Intel build. Does that make any sense? Can the LGA 1156 options be competitive to any budget AMD offerings? The cheapest cpu looks like it's G6850 cpu and i3 530 at $120. Twice as much compared to an AM3 X2 250 but maybe the performance is close with the i3 cpu? I haven't checked yet. But, then prices are going higher maybe? I haven't looked at Intel-based motherboards yet.

I don't need an expensive SSD for the build. Maybe the Kingston would be enough. But, unless AMD is able to 'fix' the discrepancy in performance, you can't get the potential no matter which SSD you go with later, right? Then again, maybe they'll work with Intel and Sandforce to fix the situation?

Edit: I meant to add, I think a 60 to 80GB is enough (when I decide to get one). Even the 50GB ones but those are Sandforce. It would be for a Windows 7 install.

Good stuff to think about. Maybe over analyzing things but I do like to get best performance for the dollar and I like to look at best potential regarding hardware. I believe it's a good idea to even go low cost at first if need be with the best upgrade options. Even when they move to a newer architecture, they'll still have good (older) hardware left. Even LGA 775 hardware is still being sold, both new and used.
Old June 19, 2010, 04:51 PM
Banned
F@H

there was a shell shocker for a pentium on 1156 @ 140 free shipping the other day but im not convinced. pricematch g31/g41+e3300 or such around the 100 dollar mark, oc o nstock cooler way past 3 gigs lol.
Old June 19, 2010, 04:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
there was a shell shocker for a pentium on 1156 @ 140 free shipping the other day but im not convinced. pricematch g31/g41+e3300 or such around the 100 dollar mark, oc o nstock cooler way past 3 gigs lol.
I'm trying to decide whether the difference (in $$) is worth it. I know it's cheaper but it's a dead end with regards to any upgrade, really. Also, the G41 boards only have 2 RAM slots so it's 4GB tops... probably only a 8GB limit so you would need major bucks for that! LOL!

But, since I'm also shopping for other stuff now, I'll probably start crying and end up buying a LGA 775 system as mentioned!