Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 12, 2010, 04:58 AM
Rookie

Question Memory Standard & Different Mobos

Hi all.

I'm planning a gaming PC build using a Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5, and the memory standard specifications that are listed with that board don't mention DDR3 1600 as one of the supported memory speeds, though the OCZ memory kit I'm looking at is listed on the board's memory compatibility list on Gigabyte's website. The memory standard speeds listed for the board are DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800. Does this mean I'll have to mess around in the BIOS to get the memory to run at its stock speed? I have ZERO overclocking experience (absolute PC-building n00b), so messing around with voltages and the like makes me nervous -- I'd rather have the memory work at its stock speed and worry about playing around with it later after everything's working. (As a corollary, if anyone knows where I can go to get a basic breakdown on overclocking and base clocks and the rest, it would be very much appreciated.)

Oh, and in my "Gaming PC -- Advice on Parts" thread in "New Builds," stoanee suggested using an Asus P6X58D-E rather than the Gigabyte motherboard. They both look reasonably similar to me; I picked the Gigabyte board because it displays LED error codes if something goes wrong, but money has yet to be spent. Any opinions on one board as compared to the other?

Thanks in advance. All the advice and encouragement here is much appreciated.