Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17, 2007, 09:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default ASUS Maximus Extreme x38

The new Maximus extreme is out with ddr3 and crossfire support and a built in fusion chipset waterblock attached to the sprawling complex of anodized aluminum and copper heatsinks- the SB heatsink is huge to accomodate the demands of the new crosslinx technology which supports three GPUs, and it's got separate power for RAM.

It has three PCIE slots so when there are two cards, both get 16 lanes of PCIE2.0, but wuith three, the main card gets 16, while the other two get 8 each. The problem is that Catalyst wont supprt three cards yet, even if you're nutty enough to buy three of them.

Gadgets include an LCD poster tha has a wire extension so it can be mountyed somewhere on the case or on your desk- there's also some silly little LCDs that indicate whether your OC is normal, high, or crazy. One feature I do like is the connect in the dark, light-up connection sockets in the back.

The boards is 380 bucks at NCIX which is insane, but i guess it saves you buying a chipset block (that is if it performs decently) which brings me to the issue of fitting size- there's no indication of size, but I would imagine it's not 1/2" which is a pain if you're set up for that, and most hardcore H2O people are. Another thing that would be quite annoying about this board is having to drain your water cooling loop whenever you removed the board- the waterblock doesn't come off.

Last edited by Babrbarossa; November 17, 2007 at 09:43 AM.