Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Intel Core i5-655K & Core i7-875K Unlocked Processors Review Comment Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/32566-intel-core-i5-655k-core-i7-875k-unlocked-processors-review-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL May 27, 2010 08:59 PM

Intel Core i5-655K & Core i7-875K Unlocked Processors Review Comment Thread

Enthusiasts and gamers alike are aware that AMD has long been catering to the overclockers among us with their unlocked yet affordable Black Edition processors. Meanwhile, Intel's "unlocked" products have largely been reserved for their ultra high-end Extreme Edition products but that is all about to change with the introduction of the K-series of i7 and i5 1156 processors. In this review we take these chips to their limits in order to see if their unlocked multipliers are beneficial to the end user.

[ Read full article ]

ilya May 27, 2010 09:20 PM

It feels like Intel is starting to make sure AMD knows their place, back down in the low budget market.
I think 1090 sales are going to plummet now, 1055 should still be in the clear though.

ZZLEE May 27, 2010 09:55 PM

Nice

wants a i7 1156 :biggrin:

Jediron May 27, 2010 10:58 PM

Can you explain why the Amd sixcores do such a good job in Farcry 2 ?
I ask, because i can't see them perform that good at any other review site. So seeing those results here seem strange.

MAC May 27, 2010 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jediron (Post 383691)
Can you explain why the Amd sixcores do such a good job in Farcry 2 ?
I ask, because i can't see them perform that good at any other review site. So seeing those results here seem strange.

You should be asking why the Clarkdales do so well :haha:

Phenom II processors just perform exceedingly well in Far Cry 2's timedemos at higher resolutions & high quality settings.

Bit-Tech have similar results.

feerof May 28, 2010 01:48 AM

good review =D taught me things i didn't know about :thumb:

_dangtx_ May 28, 2010 04:26 AM

nice...love the air cooling results. 655 is a beast lol

chrisk May 28, 2010 07:02 AM

I don't really understand the logic of having the unlocked processor much cheaper than the locked one. This is not a complaint as a consumer, but who in their right mind would even entertain the thought of getting the locked one? Good luck trying to sell a locked 870 for anything near what you paid for it (retailer or early adopter). I realize that early adopters take these risks, but this seems quite strange to me.

AmuseMe May 28, 2010 07:58 AM

So is it worth for me to sell my 860 for an 875K? Im almost thinking so...

MAC May 28, 2010 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskwarren (Post 383747)
I don't really understand the logic of having the unlocked processor much cheaper than the locked one.

Well as I wrote in the first paragraph of the conclusion, they are just trying to cut AMD off at the knees, at least at the high-end level.