Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 28, 2010, 05:24 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
do you think people looking to build a budget buil will ook at these(or the 40 dollar cheaper one) vs a phenom II build?
The cheaper of these two CPUs is over $200. That is not budget-friendly pricing for a dual-core. These CPUs are meant for overclockers, not budget builders.
Old May 29, 2010, 08:17 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
You should be asking why the Clarkdales do so well

Phenom II processors just perform exceedingly well in Far Cry 2's timedemos at higher resolutions & high quality settings.

Bit-Tech have similar results.
Those bittech results are not very new, and the Intel's are also on top mostly.

What i mean is this:
Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Intel all on top, AMD in the middle and lower end of the pack.
So, how come the AMD do so well here ?
Old May 29, 2010, 08:24 AM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediron View Post
Those bittech results are not very new, and the Intel's are also on top mostly.
Far Cry 2 hasn't been updated in a while though, so the results don't change. Look at where the Core i7's are in that graph.

Quote:
What i mean is this:
Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Intel all on top, AMD in the middle and lower end of the pack.
So, how come the AMD do so well here ?
Medium quality settings though, the results change when you start increasing the quality.
Old May 29, 2010, 05:20 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
I don't really understand the logic of having the unlocked processor much cheaper than the locked one. This is not a complaint as a consumer, but who in their right mind would even entertain the thought of getting the locked one? Good luck trying to sell a locked 870 for anything near what you paid for it (retailer or early adopter). I realize that early adopters take these risks, but this seems quite strange to me.
In general it's not a good idea to buy the highest of the line anyway. Rarely do they present good value.

i860 at 284USD was where it was at, the i7 870 should drop to 284USD sometime in future, and we should see a higher binned i7 880 at the old price point of the i7 870, that would make everything fall into place.

I don't think it would be a big deal, at 500 USD+ it wasn't like alot of people were buying i7 870's anyway. At that price point might as well get the more enthusiast LGA1366 with a i7 950...