Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27, 2010, 01:56 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacrosseTown View Post
yeah, intel is for those people who are folding and want a big bang with a big buck:D
there's this youtube video that shows an amd cpu without a cooler and popping, my friends say if an intel fan fails the cpu won't pop or break i highly don't believe this and that the person showing the video probably under clocked the intel's cpu:/

all post the vid when youtube gets unblocked

just a quick question, which cpu runs hotter?
amd or intel?
complete AMD fanboy and statistical person right there
Old May 27, 2010, 04:38 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
there's this youtube video that shows an amd cpu without a cooler and popping, my friends say if an intel fan fails the cpu won't pop or break i highly don't believe this and that the person showing the video probably under clocked the intel's cpu:/

You're talking about a Tom's Hardware video that was made 9 years ago. It was not faked; AMD CPUs from around that time really did have no thermal protection, and Intel CPUs did and were capable of surviving being run without a heatsink. Nowadays, all CPUs have functional thermal protection which will prevent high temperatures from causing any damage. You can take the heatsink off of any AMD or Intel CPU currently on the market, and if the CPU is not already defective, it will simply throttle or shut off without damaging itself.
Quote:
just a quick question, which cpu runs hotter?
amd or intel?
Depends on the CPU. Both companies have products that fit into a number of different thermal envelopes. However, as far as performance goes, Intel CPUs provide more performance for the amount of power they consume and are therefore more efficient.
Old May 27, 2010, 05:50 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

yup thanks for clearing up some stuff!

edit: that explains allot, I didn't mean anything towards tom's I like there reviews, this was just a noobie mistake lol:P
Old May 27, 2010, 06:19 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Tom's is a crap site. Feel free to insult them as much as you like, because they deserve it. I was just pointing out that they're the ones behind the video (it was from back in the day when they actually had some decent people hanging around).