Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 12, 2007, 03:24 PM
Rookie

Default Intel's new chip w/questions

i was reading up this article
washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

but i cant seem to find what im looking for, maybe someone here knows.
I was wondering if the new cpu's will fit into lga 775 sockets or will they make a whole new socket. If they make a whole new socket, i think i might hold off from buying a new computer. Anyone know

*edit, the whole article didnt stay for some reason. ill try and refind link.

Last edited by UberMoo; November 12, 2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old November 12, 2007, 03:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

The new chips are physically compatible with all LGA775 sockets, BUT not necessarily electrically. To run one of these chips, you'll need a motherboard based on the P35 or X38 chipset (there are on-board graphics versions as these as well, I forget their designations). Look for "Penryn compatible" or "45nm ready" to be certain.

Some earlier motherboards might be fully compatible with these processors, by virtue of their design meeting the requirements (I think some 680-series chipset are), but that's strictly on a case-by-case basis.
Old November 12, 2007, 04:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

AnandTech: Motherboard Compatibility for Wolfdale and Yorkfield Processors

there's an article at anadtech telling which mobos are compatible.
Old November 12, 2007, 04:46 PM
Rookie

well as i look through the list, i see the mother board ( evga 680i) will work as long as it gets the bios update. Does that mean i have to use a diffrent processor chip to install the update THEN switch it out? or would there be a way to just have it run with the chip then get the update?
Old November 12, 2007, 04:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
The new chips are physically compatible with all LGA775 sockets, BUT not necessarily electrically. To run one of these chips, you'll need a motherboard based on the P35 or X38 chipset (there are on-board graphics versions as these as well, I forget their designations). Look for "Penryn compatible" or "45nm ready" to be certain.

Some earlier motherboards might be fully compatible with these processors, by virtue of their design meeting the requirements (I think some 680-series chipset are), but that's strictly on a case-by-case basis.
Wrong! You need a motherboard that supports 1333 FSB speeds which most of the P5B series does support which is 965 and the 680i' should have no issues as well.

P35 and X38 is just for sure without any problems unlike the 680i and 965 chipsets.
Old November 12, 2007, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

Um, no, there ARE issues with older LGA775 motherboards.

Firstly, many older boards don't meet the updated VRM spec needed to support the 45nm chips. Intel hasn't officially guaranteed backwards compatibility, either. It's possible the boards might run the chip, albeit with out of spec voltages, but I haven't seen anything to back that up yet. Also in question are the new power-saving modes available, which definitely require the new spec.

Additionally, many older boards don't support the half-multipliers that many of the new 45nm chips are coming with.
Old November 12, 2007, 06:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Um, no, there ARE issues with older LGA775 motherboards.

Firstly, many older boards don't meet the updated VRM spec needed to support the 45nm chips. Intel hasn't officially guaranteed backwards compatibility, either. It's possible the boards might run the chip, albeit with out of spec voltages, but I haven't seen anything to back that up yet. Also in question are the new power-saving modes available, which definitely require the new spec.

Additionally, many older boards don't support the half-multipliers that many of the new 45nm chips are coming with.
If you go to the Asus website you'll see the P5B boards except the vanilla board and the P5N32-E and a couple more ARE support but as I said the P35 and X38 are ones that will work regardless.
Old November 12, 2007, 07:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberMoo View Post
well as i look through the list, i see the mother board ( evga 680i) will work as long as it gets the bios update. Does that mean i have to use a diffrent processor chip to install the update THEN switch it out? or would there be a way to just have it run with the chip then get the update?
As long as the motherboard will post with the new chip, and you're updating the BIOS with a floppy drive, you shouldn't need an older processor at all.
Old November 12, 2007, 10:39 PM
Rookie

gah, guess that means i will have to 1. buy a floppy drive soon 2. read up on MORE complicated stuff,

oh well
Thanks for the help
Old November 13, 2007, 01:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberMoo View Post
gah, guess that means i will have to 1. buy a floppy drive soon 2. read up on MORE complicated stuff,

oh well
Thanks for the help
If you buy an Asus board they have a bios updater that doesn't need a floppy but just a usb key.