Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 15, 2010, 02:27 AM
Trial Member

Default 890FX and SLI... will it work? Brand?

I'm not sure if this question belongs here, but it seemed like a good place to start. I'm looking at upgrading my mobo to the 890FX chipset and I was wondering if anyone has done so and is using SLI? I understand that SLI is not supported, but that doesn't mean it won't work. I would just like to know if anyone has had any success using SLI with a 890FX chipset.

I currently have a pair of GTX 470s and I don't want to have to scrap my AMD chip for an Intel chip just because AMD and ATI are humping each other.

If you have a board and have had success please list your GPUs and brand of your mobo.

If there is a workaround for this that allows sli to work on any board please point me in the right direction. Thanks!
Old May 15, 2010, 07:35 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Why 890fx? I believe there should be a hack for it, but I don't recommend it. Way too troublesome. I'd suggest a x58 platform instead, a i7 920 C0 can be had for $200.
Old May 15, 2010, 11:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
just because AMD and ATI are humping each other
Wouldn't that count more as mastur... *meh* whatever...

I'd have to agree with 0o0. You might be able to find a way to pull it off, but it's going to be a huge pain in the arse.
Old May 15, 2010, 03:18 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthmcnasty View Post
because AMD and ATI are humping each other.
AMD owns ATI
Old May 15, 2010, 05:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
AMD owns ATI
And that makes ATI their bitch.

But yeah, the only 890FX board that will support SLI will be the upcoming ASUS RoG board with the Lucid Hydra chip.
Old May 15, 2010, 06:05 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The answer is NO.

And until I see some MUCH better drivers from Lucid, I'll be avoiding their chip like the plague.
Old May 15, 2010, 06:31 PM
Banned
F@H

werent there modded drivers?
Old May 15, 2010, 08:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There are some modded drivers/BIOSes out there that made it work for the 790FX I think, but I haven't read up on that in a while.

@SKY: Haha nowhere did I say I supported Hydra. You're absolutely right. It's really still a long shot for that chip.
Old May 16, 2010, 02:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wasn't it the "SLI License" that is screwing the consumers? So basically SLI will likely be impossible for AMD boards until there is some kinda of agreement between AMD and Nvidia.
Old May 16, 2010, 12:09 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I know of at least three major mobo manufacturers that have SLI working on 890FX boards. Between NVIDIA and ATI, I have a pretty good idea who is stopping the buck but I don't want to speculate. Let's just say that with ATI integrated into their company, there is no way AMD wants a competitor's multi card solution running on their motherboards. The same thing goes for NVIDIA not wanting their cards running with AMD processors and what is labeled as an "ATI chipset".

Once again consumers get screwed one way or another.