Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 5, 2010, 07:04 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default GIGABYTE 890GPA-UD3H 890GX Review Comment Thread

The current motherboard market is full of feature rich high end products but finding a capable mid-range board can be a lesson in frustration for many users. AMD’s new 890GX looks to be an answer for many consumers who are looking for the perfect mix of performance and features while retailing for less that $150. But can it live up to everyone’s expectations by offering AMD users something Intel’s faithful are still waiting for?

[ Read full article ]

Last edited by SKYMTL; May 5, 2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old May 5, 2010, 07:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Gigabyte is still in the game for sure. Another great Bang for your Buck board.

Interesting to see that although less physical phases, they compensated very well with higher quality phases.

Quality over Quantity anyday.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 5, 2010, 07:40 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Now this is the point in the review that we say “See! More isn’t better”. Here we have a simple 4+1 power delivery system that simply blew us away. More phases do not always equate to accurate and stable power delivery as the UD3H so perfectly illustrates. Great work, GIGABYTE!
No offense, but you'd really need an oscilloscope to make that determination. The switching frequency of the PWM controller is much higher than the sampling rate of the DMM. The benefit of having more phases is that they help produce a more flat output waveform; adding more phases doesn't necessarily improve the voltage regulation.
Old May 6, 2010, 12:01 AM
Banned
F@H

i like the ud3h's from giga, not expensive, packed of features for the price :)

thats quite the spacing between the peg's, make sure you got a long sli/xfire cable lol.

as always a puny south bridge sink, but hey

you actually think the power filtering will be enough for a highlt clocked hexa core? wich btw wouldve been nice to have on the one board in the oc tests :)

ide and floppy connectors for the win. some may laugh, but if you have the need(5% or less of the people) its a plus

grammaticals look ok(i skipped a lot lol)
Old May 6, 2010, 12:13 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
grammaticals look ok(i skipped a lot lol)
You have no business commenting on grammar considering you yourself aren't competent enough with it to know that "grammaticals" is not even a real word.
Old May 6, 2010, 01:06 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
You have no business commenting on grammar considering you yourself aren't competent enough with it to know that "grammaticals" is not even a real word.
BAHAHAHAHA someone called him on it, FINALLY!

On another note... a very well-written article. I'd have to say lemonlime is the best writer on the site. Great job!
Old May 10, 2010, 12:29 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Just curious, but was the overclocking results achieved using the IGP or a discrete video card? Would using the IGP affect overclocking?