Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2010, 08:49 AM
MVP
F@H

Default i7-860 Temps while folding?

Just finished my 2nd folding unit (still not up on the terminology of Folding yet)

Other than some initial testing on the system when I built it in February, none of my apps push the system at 100% for hours like this (and I didn't know what Folding was when I built it).

i7-860 (not overclocked) Coolermaster HTX3 cooler
Coolermaster 690 II case

With RealTemp 3.40 I'm getting 60C 62C 62C and 64C with max reading at 65C probably for the last 12 hours or so.

So I'm wondering if these temps are reasonable?
Old May 3, 2010, 09:25 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The temperatures are normal for load temperatures. You don't want the temperature to get any hotter than that though. 72C is the thermal limit of the i7 on the 1156 platform.
Although I am surprised you are getting warm temperatures like that with an aftermarket cooler... then again, I have no experience with the core i7 myself.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:05 AM
Banned
F@H

dont forget that tx3 is not quite the top cooler so its not that bad :)
Old May 3, 2010, 10:38 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yup those temps are normal and fine
Old May 3, 2010, 10:41 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Don't worrie, thoses temps are ok.
I have 2 I7 860 OC ~ 3850Mhz with temp around 70 to 75c and folding without any problem.
If you hit 80c, i suggest you to change your heatsink !!
Old May 3, 2010, 11:03 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

If you're below 100C, you've got nothing to worry about. You've got plenty of headroom. One important thing to keep in mind is that it's impossible to get your CPU hot enough to damage it, because it has thermal protection features that will prevent that from happening. As long as you stay below 100C, they will not take effect, so you can run your CPU at full load below that temperature without having to worry about any performance effects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo matrix View Post
The temperatures are normal for load temperatures. You don't want the temperature to get any hotter than that though. 72C is the thermal limit of the i7 on the 1156 platform.
Although I am surprised you are getting warm temperatures like that with an aftermarket cooler... then again, I have no experience with the core i7 myself.
The thermal spec (not thermal limit) is completely meaningless and has absolutely nothing to do with maximum safe temperatures for Intel CPUs.
Old May 3, 2010, 04:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
The thermal spec (not thermal limit) is completely meaningless and has absolutely nothing to do with maximum safe temperatures for Intel CPUs.
I usually look up the specs on cpu-world.com. They list that as the "maximum operating temperature". So what is the meaning of that temperature then, if not safe operating temperatures?

Anyway you've caught my interest now. Where did you find out the temperature where the thermal protection features start taking effect? I've been looking for that info for ages.
Old May 3, 2010, 05:54 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I usually look up the specs on cpu-world.com. They list that as the "maximum operating temperature". So what is the meaning of that temperature then, if not safe operating temperatures?
The thermal spec is basically the Tcase temperature the CPU is rated to run at under stock cooling and normal operating conditions. It has nothing to do with operational limits.
Quote:
Anyway you've caught my interest now. Where did you find out the temperature where the thermal protection features start taking effect? I've been looking for that info for ages.
Intel has publicly released Tjmax values for most of their CPUs. The behaviour of the thermal protection circuitry in Intel CPUs is covered in Intel's datasheets for their different CPUs.
Old May 3, 2010, 06:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Like others have said those temps are ok. With a better CPU cooler like a Hyper 212+ or Zalman Flex your temps would be maybe 3 or 4 lower.
Old May 3, 2010, 07:01 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

If you are worried invest in the CM Hyper 212+, it keeps my 860 below ~62* while clocked at 3.6 and Folding the -bigadv WU's (workunits). And that's with an 26* ambient room temp...