Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 1, 2010, 10:15 PM
Rookie

Default AMD 101

Ive never had an AMD, but I use Nvidia GPU's. I work with Blender & Gimp, not much of a gamer.

My plans are to build a complete system next Feb(tax time), I also want to wait for the next set of chipsets. But I really dont know much about AMD or its raodmaps. My needs are a single GPU(no duel GPU or SLI). 8GB or memory is just fine, can always up it to 16GB later. And two WD 1TB Blacks in RAID0 is plenty. Also Id want a full 16x for the GPU, an 8x for a RAID card if I need it down the road, and a 4x Intel Duallink NIC. And USB3 and 6gb/s.

Personally I think what Intel did with its 55 chipset was a farse, PCIe lanes that is.

Im looking at a GTX 480 at the moment, the faster memory bandwidth the better and the amount.

So, would AMD be a good choice for my needs, and will their be a 8core desktop around the corner?

thanks
Old May 2, 2010, 07:05 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Define "around the corner". We won't see 8-core AMD parts until the Bulldozer architecture is released sometime in 2011.
Old May 2, 2010, 07:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I say wait til next feburary to decide. Who knows, maybe there could be 16 core CPU's. We don't know.

-Plato
Old May 2, 2010, 07:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile AMD 101

I agree with jcmaz. The way things are going you could very well see a better gpu as well as cpu.
Old May 3, 2010, 09:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Feb. 2011? Bulldozer for desktops will be released sometime in 2011. As for if it will be released by February, it's a bit of guesswork. If bulldozer isn't released by February, it would be worth it to wait a bit more before building. Unless of course it gets pushed to a 2012 release or something.
As for your specs that you need, they will be no problem in early 2011. New graphics cards will also be released by then. Technology moves very quickly.