Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 28, 2010, 01:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'll be buying the 1090T when I have some cash available. It will be a good match for my 890 GX Mobo that was bought specifically for that purpose... Of course I don't need a 6 cores processor but I'll buy it just the same. What's is a guy do hey ? I just love new toys.

Old May 6, 2010, 05:41 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

April 27th:
Due to severe time constraints we won't be wow'ing you with our extensive overclocking endeavours, but here is a teaser for an overclocking article that will be posted next Wednesday:

Did I miss that article yesterday or is it late or forgotten? Or are you guys having trouble overclocking the chip?
Old May 6, 2010, 05:48 PM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo matrix View Post
Did I miss that article yesterday or is it late or forgotten? Or are you guys having trouble overclocking the chip?
No, it's my fault, life got in the way

Overclocking the X6 is easy, but doing it across four different motherboard adds another element of difficulty

The article will out in a couple of days, sorry for the delay.
Old May 6, 2010, 06:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
3-phase voltage regulation? Not a good idea.
So the more Phase voltage regulators you have the better/stable the power to the CPU will be?

But i'll probably sell my existing mobo/cpu/ram when my 770T gets returned from Gigabyte.

-Plato
Old May 6, 2010, 06:04 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
No, it's my fault, life got in the way

Overclocking the X6 is easy, but doing it across four different motherboard adds another element of difficulty

The article will out in a couple of days, sorry for the delay.
from the above we should expect some 7 series mobo clocking fun too? :)
Old May 6, 2010, 06:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

To follow up on my previous question about being able to clock individual cores.... that now appears to be possible using the ASUS OC software (turbo core or whatever they call it).

This in turn brings up an interesting thought.... if it's the overall heat of the individual cores causing stability to crap out under heavy OC load... wonder if just clocking the "outer" cores a bit higher would allow for an extra 100 Mhz on those cores.... not a big deal for day to day operations, but might be something to look into when benchmarking.

One thing I can say for sure is that NB OC is crucial on these chips for day to day operations. The difference in "snappiness" of the OS between default 2000 NB and a 2600 NB is night and day.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 6, 2010, 06:07 PM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
So the more Phase voltage regulators you have the better/stable the power to the CPU will be?

But i'll probably sell my existing mobo/cpu/ram when my 770T gets returned from Gigabyte.
That might not be necessary, the Gigabyte model has a solid 8+2 PWM design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
from the above we should expect some 7 series mobo clocking fun too? :)

Yep, that's whole idea behind the article
Old May 6, 2010, 06:09 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
That's one part of it. The other is that more phases distributes the load over a greater number of components, which allows the PWM circuitry to deliver more power without failing.
Old May 6, 2010, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
To follow up on my previous question about being able to clock individual cores.... that now appears to be possible using the ASUS OC software (turbo core or whatever they call it).

This in turn brings up an interesting thought.... if it's the overall heat of the individual cores causing stability to crap out under heavy OC load... wonder if just clocking the "outer" cores a bit higher would allow for an extra 100 Mhz on those cores.... not a big deal for day to day operations, but might be something to look into when benchmarking.

One thing I can say for sure is that NB OC is crucial on these chips for day to day operations. The difference in "snappiness" of the OS between default 2000 NB and a 2600 NB is night and day.
really? I dont notice anything.
Old May 6, 2010, 07:54 PM
Banned
F@H

was it increase nb for more bandwith or something? memory fails me atm.

in heavier tasks you may probably notice it