Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 25, 2010, 04:03 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Reboot after plugging USB device

Hi folks,

Need your take on this, I have this MB ASUS M4A89GTD PRO USB 3. I have noticed that when plugging some USB device it crashes my computer and makes it reboot. This is something I've never seen before. Usually, USB sticks are not a problem but when plugging a camera or my Iphone or a video camera it crashes my comp. It will also, take my comp running on four cores and when it reboots it does only on three cores even from three to two. This is a bit weird.

Old April 25, 2010, 04:15 PM
Banned
F@H

run a linux from cd and plug your device in. if same, then mobo needs rma, most probably. that or theres not sufficient power to juice it all, altough that corsair if its the one i nthere should have noissues.
Old April 25, 2010, 05:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know what this is, well at least pretty damn sure.

Believe it or not it is static electricity. Yup, I have dealt with this before and had this very issue while I had my previous case. Basically what is happening is there is a discharge as you touch the metal from the USB device to the connection itself. I have actually seen the arc it can make.

So how did I solve this before, well I just made sure to dissipate any static build up before I connected any device. So I would simply just touch my finger to that port or anything else that should be grounded and then it would be fine. It seems to only happen when it is the metal on metal contact. I have also seen this with two separate people at work and the same solution worked for them as well.

Why this is happening I don't really know, but can guess that possibly the motherboard is not grounding properly.

Edit: Course now I read your post again and think that maybe you are saying these things happen every time they are plugged in. If that is the case then combined with the less cores running then you could be looking at the board itself.

Old April 25, 2010, 05:28 PM
MVP

My System Specs

It doesn't happen every time but often enough...

I thought about static but this seems a bit odd that it would do it on a regular basis. I have seen static before, so much so that once when shutting down the wife's computer I fried it when a spark jumped form the tip of my finger to the on/off button of the computer ( most of the capacitor blown out).

Last edited by Wurmer; April 26, 2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old April 25, 2010, 07:15 PM
Top Prospect

I've had this problem with a few case/motherboard. I also believe it is static electricity.
Old April 25, 2010, 07:30 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Does it always happen with the same port, or with every port? Are you plugging the USB devices directly into a motherboard port, or through something like a front-panel port connected to one of the motherboard's USB headers?
Old April 26, 2010, 04:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

had this problem and found out it was 1 of my usb devices didn't work right. jm2cents
Old April 26, 2010, 05:59 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

And I've seen this with a bad usb port. Especially the front of case ports that connect by wire to the mobo.
Old April 26, 2010, 06:08 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Yup, I have two bad USB ports on a Gigabyte H55 and it behaves exactly the same way.
Old April 26, 2010, 06:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah be VERY careful with this. It can fry the crap out of your system heh. Bad USB ports on a case or motherboard and or static electricity can cause this.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.