Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2, 2007, 02:53 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default HELP

went to clean my computer today went to take out the cpu and give it sum canned air when the cpu itself was forged to the stock fan, i havent even tried overclocking it yet. i got that a part after sum careful pring, but heres the worse part it bent 2 of my pins on the cpu . i tried staringting them but failed on one that was bent completely i reinserted it , systems up and running how can i find out if its causing any problems?? any program out there that can tell me what that pin was controlling??
Old November 2, 2007, 03:22 PM
Allstar

So the one you "failed" to fix, did it break off or just stay bent?

I would fix it before I ever put it back in and turned it on, but you did already so...

As to what it "controls", I dont have a cle, but someone might. If they do you would need to tell them, which CPU, which pin and maybe more info.

I would say that eventually something will probably get janky, most pins on there do something.
Old November 2, 2007, 03:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid-X View Post
went to clean my computer today went to take out the cpu and give it sum canned air when the cpu itself was forged to the stock fan, i havent even tried overclocking it yet. i got that a part after sum careful pring, but heres the worse part it bent 2 of my pins on the cpu . i tried staringting them but failed on one that was bent completely i reinserted it , systems up and running how can i find out if its causing any problems?? any program out there that can tell me what that pin was controlling??
No...there's no "program" to tell you which pins do what. The best you could hope for is a pin-out diagram. If i were you, i would check clock-speed and vCore in CPU-Z.. just to make sure that it didn't change the voltage. In all likelyhood, you should be fine, as many pins are ground pins, and won't affect anything negatively. The fact that it is running fine is a good sign.. so i wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I have broken pins off accidentally before, with no effect. GL
Old November 2, 2007, 03:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

your best bet is when it starts to act up I would shut down the comp pull it out and get some good needlenose plyers and gently ever so gentrly try to straighten the pin back to where it was before
Old November 2, 2007, 04:02 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Ok This Is Messed

everytime i restart my computer i have to install , video card, pci controler ram contorller and vga crpa i guess i did mess it up imma give amd a call and see what they can do and as for the rest of the computer is worse comes to worse i got a amd cpu stock fan and a half working cpu for sale lol...btw uit bend conpletely i think
Old November 2, 2007, 06:23 PM
MVP

This will sound like a series of silly questions.

Was the hsf installed properly?
Was a thermal agent used?
Was that used in the specified manner?
and finally, do you currently use any temp. software atm to keep an eye on your system temps?

Qwerty.
Old November 2, 2007, 07:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like a good time to pick up one of the unlocked "black box" AM2 cpus...... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 2, 2007, 08:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Damn man, just damn!

I always load my cpu right before I am going to pull the heatsink, let her get good and warm then shutdown . Warming the TIM will make it come off way easier, also unclip it then use a gentle twisting motion to remove the heatsink from the cpu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old November 2, 2007, 09:00 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

credit cards usually work pretty good for straightening out bent pins
Antec P180
BFG GTX 260 Core 216
Corsair HX-620
Thermaltake Power Express 250W
Raptor150, WD 500gb. WD 300GB
X-Fi Extreme Music
Old November 2, 2007, 09:05 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post
credit cards usually work pretty good for straightening out bent pins
yup yup. steady hands mandatory. but works.