Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 19, 2010, 05:57 PM
Rookie

Default ASUS M4N86T-M

Hey guys, a friend of mine wants to purchase the ASUS M4N86T-M but is not sure because the OCZ site said it wasn't compatible. The ram he wants to purchase as well to go with this motherboard i OCZ Gold 4gb (2 x 2gb) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit (Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G16004GK). Can anyone explain to me why it's not compatible because I don't see a problem with it. Oh, we would like to know if it's compatible.

Thank you in advance.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:44 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I googled that motherboard but this thread is literally the only result. You might want to double check the model.

Anyway, I have an Asus M4N785-M and I am currently using both mushkin silverline and OCZ SLI (each 2x1GB chips) and have no problems. Neither is on the support list (other OCZ models are though but no mushkin)
Compatibility just means that it's been tested. I have never heard of anyone running into problems with "incompatible" ram that is actually incompatible.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I would personally steer clear of the OCZ kits if possible. They really don't put the effort into it like other makers do.
For that go G.Skill, Mushkin, Corsair if you can.
I have had problems with OCZ ram, and trust me there are issues with incompatibility. I've got one DDR2 kit from OCZ that I finally found a board it would work on properly.

So it does happen. As for the list you have for the board (QVL), there are literally too many kits available out there to make it complete. So the board makers tend to get a bit of a baseline from all manufacturers and that forms the foundation, but in no way is it set in stone.
I've had kits that were never part of that list running perfectly on my systems.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 6, 2010, 07:31 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Honestly of late, If i don't want to have any problem with my memory I buy good ole Kingston. They are more conservative in many aspects but they are compatible with most every brand of MB. I have yet to encounter any issue with any of their memory kits.

Old May 6, 2010, 08:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I like my Corsair kit even tho the 770T gives it more voltage than needed.

-Plato