Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16, 2010, 11:13 PM
Banned
F@H

its fine, no worries. i wouldnt care unless...wait 55load is quite normal dependin g on the hs,and airflow
Old April 16, 2010, 11:19 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by odis172 View Post
Little offtopic, but we're playing around with 980 (6core) at work, the bios doesnt fully support it - so its not throttling, the heatsink is limited to a small space, and cpu max temp is supposed to be 67 degrees. They are hitting about 75 then locking up, but we have one stable at 85. Im thinking it wont last too long before it burns out.
1) Thermal throttling has nothing to do with the BIOS. It is handled by the CPU's own circuitry. It cannot be disabled and thermal protection is always active.

2) The "max temp" you're talking about is with respect to Tcase. Since you cannot measure Tcase, ignore it since it is absolutely useless for your purposes. The actual "max temperature" for all intents and purposes is Tjmax, which is a value around 100C.

3) Download Real Temp and use that for all your temperature measurements. It will give you the true core temperatures and it will also tell you what the true value of Tjmax is for your CPU (Tjmax is the temperature at which the CPU's thermal throttling feature will activate).

4) The CPU is not going to burn out unless you overvolt it. That much I can guarantee you.
Old April 16, 2010, 11:44 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
3) Download Real Temp and use that for all your temperature measurements.
Yep, from RealTemp archive use RealTempGT.exe. It's exclusively for Gulftown.

RLP06 your temps are perfect fine if they are core temperatures. I HATE push-pin retention system so I'd suggest that in time to buy a heatsink with backplate and bolt-thru mounting system.
Old April 17, 2010, 12:00 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post

In fact, it is quite literally impossible to harm your CPU with high temperatures since it will shut itself down before it can get hot enough for that.
I was benchtesting an E6750 once just to see if the chip worked. Stuck on an aftermarket cooler without fastening it down... too lazy to yank the mobo and fasten it properly. Anyway, I got distracted and completely forgot about it... when I checked it the next day the cooler had slid off the chip and the machine was still on . So ya I'd say you can't harm them with high temps, they simply throttle down or shut off if the temps get too high. The E6750 in question still works fine.
Old April 17, 2010, 08:01 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I discovered yesterday that the CPU fan in my secondary PC had become unplugged. I suspect that my overclocked E2140 had been folding away without active CPU cooling for several days at least. It didn't make any difference, and the only reason I discovered it was because I had to open it up to reset the BIOS after a power failure caused a hard shutdown. I have also run my Q9550 right up to 100C multiple times for testing. High temperatures don't mean anything.
Old April 17, 2010, 08:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by odis172 View Post
Little offtopic, but we're playing around with 980 (6core) at work, the bios doesnt fully support it - so its not throttling, the heatsink is limited to a small space, and cpu max temp is supposed to be 67 degrees. They are hitting about 75 then locking up, but we have one stable at 85. Im thinking it wont last too long before it burns out.
Locking up means system instability and it could be anything. Usually, ram will die or be unstable LONG before CPU's. CPU's can easily run all day for years at 100C although it is obviously not ideal.

Voltage kills CPU's, not heat.
Old April 17, 2010, 09:30 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Awesome, you guys are really helpful, great source of info :)

Thanks again!

XBMC Rig (1900PPD): AMD Athlon II X2 240 @ 3.2ghz | Gigabyte GA-MA78LM-S2H | G.Skill 2GB DDR2 800 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB | Antec NSK1300 SFF Case
Folding Rig: (1700+4500PPD) Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 | Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L | OCZ Special Ops 2GB DDR2 800 | EVGA 9800GT | G.Skill Falcon 64GB SSD | Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Seagate Momentus 1TB | Generic ATX 430W Case