Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 15, 2010, 09:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Crosshair III or IV?

Hey Guys! I'm lookin to get a new board for my PC because i wanna run Crossfire without having to suffer bandwith issues. My curent mobo (ASUS M4A78-E) will only do x8/x8 when 2 PCI 2.0 slots are in use. I was looking at ASUS ROG Options for AMD Proc's.

I am in a bit of a rut as to what option to go for. Should I get a Crosshair III now or wait till the Crosshair IV comes out?

If it is any help, I will be putting a Phenom II X4 955 BE and 2 ATI HD 4890's in it.

Thanks in Advance guys!
Old April 16, 2010, 01:03 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I don't believe you'll see a significant enough increase in performance going from 8x/8x to 16x/16x, so if you're looking for a mobo upgrade, you might as well wait for the Crosshair IV since you'll get some other new features such as SATA 6Gbps and I think USB 3.0 as well.
Beware this will introduce a new problem for you. Crosshair IV Formula.... or Extreme?
Old April 16, 2010, 12:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockClocker View Post
Beware this will introduce a new problem for you. Crosshair IV Formula.... or Extreme?
Lol True that. I'd say I'll most likely be getting the Formula, unless the Extreme is not XL-ATX. Would love the Extreme to be in my posession, but I really don't wanna get another case just for it.