Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12, 2010, 10:02 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default CPU Overclocking vs. Power Consumption

@XBit.
Oh well they did it again. After that article about video cards power consumption now it's for CPU's.
Quote:
Without going too much into details about the design of this unit we would like to say that the advantage of this device over electrical meters, amperemeters, current clamp meters, shunts and voltmeters is that it not only provides more precise readings, but also allows to interactively monitor the current changes along different power lines. As a result, we will offer you not only the average results, but also the maximum power consumption readings. We will also check not only the current sent to the mainboard through a special 12 V processor power connector, but also the currents the mainboard receives via standard 24-pin ATX power connector along 12, 5 and 3 V power lines. We must take all this data into account because many contemporary processors, mostly the ones made by Intel, use combination power circuitry that involves not only the individual 12 V processor power line.
VERY interesting article if you're asking me.
Old April 13, 2010, 03:01 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I just read this article aswell. Its interesting read that's for sure!
Old April 13, 2010, 08:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Some time ago, I think anandtech did an article very similar. When I say 'some time ago' I mean Pentium 4 to Core days. They found very similar statistics. Basically (back then, and today?) the sweet spot of performance per watt or performance per time was/is ~3.4ghz. Interesting how not much has changed. It still seems to hover around the 3.4ghz mark. Id like to sit down with an engineer and work on some research as to why this happens (seemingly) consistently with all manner of chips...

Good read tho. Thanks for the link.