Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   Does a CPU run hotter over time? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/30759-does-cpu-run-hotter-over-time.html)

RLP06 April 7, 2010 07:44 PM

Does a CPU run hotter over time?

I've always wondered whether it is my "thermal paste application skills" or whether a CPU runs hotter over time. Usually with a fresh cpu and HSF, the cpu runs pretty cool, but over time, even after replacing the thermal paste, the cpu never runs as cool as it did when I first got it. Is this because I'm not applying thermal paste properly?

LarkStarr April 7, 2010 07:58 PM

well, describe how you replace thermal paste.

I don't believe CPUs get noticeably hotter over time, given similar conditions.

ZZLEE April 7, 2010 08:08 PM

Look fore spyware

If you have spyware hiding on your system it eats up clocks on CPU and RAM. A chip itself if overclocked will also tend to heat more over time. At stock clocking it shouldent start to act up fore years.:biggrin:

I pulled off like 200 spyware gagetts off one system once.:censored:

Zero82z April 7, 2010 08:53 PM

CPUs do not produce more heat over time. Any increase in temperature is due to dust buildup or other things impeding airflow and cooling performance, as well as things that place more load on the CPU.

gingerbee April 7, 2010 08:57 PM

tim dried up on ya

_dangtx_ April 7, 2010 09:32 PM

back in the day there was talk of silicone deterioration or such due to (high(er)) voltages or temps...havent heard anything i na while tough.

RLP06 April 8, 2010 02:27 PM

I guess it may be the HSF then.

My process:

I take off the HSF, use rubbing alcohol on a q-tip and remove all the thermal paste from the CPU, then I use a kitchen towel with rubbing alcohol and remove all thermal paste from the HSF.

After that, I apply the thermal paste with the applicator (Zalman STG1 - comes with a nail polish like applicator) on the CPU, and then rub some into the HSF with a paper towel. I then place the HSF back on the CPU making sure all the HSF is tight on the cpu.

After about a week of letting the thermal paste settle, I'm at about 50C, whereas I've had my CPU at 30C in the past. Never overclocked, etc. Fresh OS install, doesn't make a diff.

Maybe my HSF needs a cleaning rather than thermal paste.

Silvgearx April 8, 2010 02:58 PM

Which CPU are you talking about?

30C load? you must be talking about the AMD setup?

If it got up that much your likely having bad contact, too much paste or not enough paste.

RLP06 April 8, 2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX (Post 360745)
Which CPU are you talking about?

30C load? you must be talking about the AMD setup?

If it got up that much your likely having bad contact, too much paste or not enough paste.

I'm talking about the T5200 in my laptop, its ambient

Ambient 32 previously, and 48 ambient now.

Load was probably 40 previously and 55-60 now.

I guess I'll try and reseat it.

Bond007 April 8, 2010 06:00 PM

As far as I know there is no increase over time. I had my Athlon 1700+ for 6 years and its temp went up <10 degrees after 3 years (under load with the same thermal paste that was never replaced), then the motherboard fried and I put it in a new board and temps went back down to where they were when I first got it. Temps never went back up on me after that.