Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 5, 2010, 08:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Heatsink back plate

When I recently swapped out my motherboard, cpu, and ram, I reused my old heatsink, Scythe Ninja rev B. I just put the AM2 mounting bracket on the heatsink and installed it on the new motherboard (Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P ). It slipped my mind to remove the backplate from my old motherboard(Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L) and place it on my new one.

I'm wondering is this absolutely critical to do? Sorry for the outside link, but there's a good picture here of the back of my motherboard Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P Motherboard Review Page 2 - Closer Look: The Motherboard - Overclockers Club

The stock backplate it pretty robust, but if I should swap it out for motherboard integrity I'll definitely do it.
Old April 5, 2010, 10:09 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

That backplate is for the motherboard, not the heatsink. It is not meant to be removed.