Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 4, 2010, 09:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default AMD X2 555 BE unlocked to 4 cores

Well in anticipation of upgrading my computer for the AMD Thuban processors, I upgraded my motherboard, processor, and ram.

Old Stuff:
  • Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
  • Intel E3110 @ stock speeds (server version of e8400)
  • 4x1gb G.Skill DDR2 800
New Stuff:
  • Gigabyte GA-790FXT-UD5P ($100 refurb at Memory Express)
  • AMD X2 555 BE ($105 new)
  • 2x2gb Corsair XMS DDR3 1600 ($124 new)
I was planning on just using the 555 for a little while until the new Thuban processors came out, but it looks like I lucked out with a fully unlockable chip to 4 cores. I've left it at stock speeds for now to make sure it's stable, but I've run some WPrime tests and through regular use I've had no issues in 24hours. I'll run some more stress tests later, but things are looking good.

You gotta love when a $100 chip pretty much turns about to be closer to a $200 value. I'll try to overclock it in a few days when I'm confident enough it's stable.

Looks like I'll hold off on the Thuban for awhile since this should do me for the time being!

Once my new case shows up, I'll post some pictures of my setup. I'm pretty excited though since once I sell my old stuff it won't be that much money out of pocket for a fairly faster setup.
Old April 4, 2010, 10:47 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

That's a great upgrade!

Did you have to add voltage to the CPU?
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old April 4, 2010, 11:40 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post
That's a great upgrade!

Did you have to add voltage to the CPU?
Nope, not a single bump to voltage to run 4 cores at 3.2GHz. From what I've seen in reviews of the 555, I've got the same stepping that can overclock to 4+ GHz with a bump up to 1.5v.

I'll probably only try to bump it up as high as possible without a voltage increase. I'm running a Scythe Ninja Rev B. cooler, so it should be alright for moderate overclocking.
Old April 4, 2010, 01:01 PM
Banned
F@H

very nice. see if you can hit 3.7-3.8 without much voltage either :)
Old April 4, 2010, 01:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

Did you get the chip at MemEx too?

Old April 4, 2010, 02:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_zappa View Post
Did you get the chip at MemEx too?
Yep, I did. I just got them to pricematch Newegg. They pricematched Bestdirect.ca for the ram. Saved me $5 on the CPU and $40 on the ram.
Old April 4, 2010, 09:11 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I am using one with a M4A89GTD MB and it's a great combo, I got the 4 cores unlocked and tested it about 18 hours of prime and decided it was enough. It's now over clocked at 3.45 using the supplied software and it runs great even though I have not prime test it, every thing seems to work great thus far. I had the same idea as the OP, I wanted something that will accommodate the up coming 6 cores and wanted a CPU that would bridge me till they are released. The BE555 is a pretty decent CPU as it is and it becomes an extremely good value when the four cores can be unlocked. In my case I was taking a chance really since I was running a E8600 which is far from being a slouch even by today's standard. I'd say that if I had gotten a none unlockable CPU it would have been a downgrade from my previous rig but now is more like a "sidegrade".

Last edited by Wurmer; April 5, 2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old April 5, 2010, 07:26 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurmer View Post
I am using one with a M4A89GTD MB and it's a great combo, I got the 4 cores unlocked and tested it about 18 hours of prime and decided it was enough. It's now over clocked at 3.45 using the supplied software and it runs great even though I have not prime test it, every thing seems to work great thus far. I had the same idea as the OP, I wanted something that will accommodate the up coming 6 cores and wanted a CPU that would bridge me till they are released. The BE555 is a pretty decent CPU as it is and it becomes an extremely good value when the four cores can be unlocked. In my case I was taking a chance really since I was running a E8600 which is far from being a slouch even by today's standard. I'd say that if I had gotten an a none unlockable CPU it would have been a downgrade from my previous rig but now is more like a "sidegrade".
At stock it seems the X2 555 is similar to a E8400, so unlocked to 4 cores and OC'd as you have it, I'd consider it a mild upgrade. Also a used E8600 is worth more than a new X2 555, so that doesn't hurt either.

I just hope the mobo I picked up supports the new Thuban processors. Gigabyte hasn't officially listed support for that mobo yet, but it has for other 790 series, so I'm assuming it'll happen eventually.

I wasn't planning on upgrading so soon, but couldn't pass up that mobo at $100.
Old April 5, 2010, 08:11 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Well sometimes you got take a chance on what you think is a good deal and hope that it ends up being one... I am using/used plenty of Gigabytes MB and have only praises for their MB. I pretty much only use their MB with a few Asus thrown in the mix. I picked my current board because not only it's compatible with the up coming CPU but also because of the core unlocker feature as well as SATA 3 + USB 3.

Old April 5, 2010, 10:23 AM
MVP

I built a system for my brother a couple weeks ago with a 550 BE ($89.99 pricematch). No problems unlocking to 4 cores. No voltage required to unlock and seems to run fine overclocked to 3.2 (from 3.1 so not much there). I tried overclocking to 3.4 on stock voltage, loads fine but not prime stable. We only had 1/2 hour to play but a full day to try different stuff would be nice. Are the 555 BE higher binned? I'm not sure why they sell the same chip with 1/2 more multi... but unlocked...
Regardless for around a 100 bucks its great value.